S2.C2 - Job offer (Bahrain)

The season begins and this means I am on the plane with all the team sleeping on Lewis shoulder while we fly to Bahrain. I was awake till late yesterday trying to understand some issues on the car and when I got home from the factory it was already time to leave for the airport.

"Last year I was here with Ferrari" I say overthinking while I prepare my clothes for tomorrow on the chair in our hotel room.
"What a time eh? And I didn't know you back then, a lots of things can change in a year"
"But I did, I saw you for the first time back here, on that podium"
"What a night, my back still remembers the pain" says Lewis with a little smile
"I remember the porpoising it looked like a nightmare and after I've been working on that car I can also tell it was"
"No porpoising this year?" Lewis says hugging me from behind
"No, I mean it shouldn't be there this year, we really worked on it"
"I trust the team and I trust you, hope the last changes after the pre season tests worked"
"I hope so" I say pressing my body on his
"We should sleep now, a lot of work this weekend" he gives me a little kiss on my forehead.

On Thursday all my energies are back, all dressed up I head to the circuit a little later than usual.
"Carlos" I say waving at him, he is walking in my direction with Lando.
"Hey, Isabelle, I'm happy to see you here, ready for the season?"
"Kinda, you?"
"Mhhh"
"I like last year shirts better"
"I like last year shirts better" Carlos says imitating me
"Cabron!" I say punching him
"Ehi ehi don't punch my man" says Lando laughing "he is a cabron but don't tell him because he is sensitive"
"Landoooo" says Carlos acting offended.
"Uuuuuh, anyway nice to see ya Isabelle but we really need to go to the press conference now" says Lando smiling.
"He's right"
"Go boys, see you on track tomorrow"
"It sounds like a threat" screams Lando walking away
"Watch your path Norris" I answer laughing

On Friday we work mostly on the race pace so we don't really show our full potentialities, on Saturday we go straight on target finishing P1-P3 on FP3 and P3-P4 on quali.
"P3 is good Lewis, you'll able to do a nice race tomorrow"
"I want to win" he says taking off his helmet and balaclava, I get closer and give him a little kiss on his cheek "then go and take it"

"Isabelle!" Carlos screams from the Ferrari hospitality "Come here!"
I walk to him unsure "Carlos I can't..."
"Oh don't worry, come" He offers his hand and guides me inside. I can see people are looking at me and I can also notice how everyone goes quite as I step in.
"Want a coffee?"
"I'm fine, Carlos, maybe it is better to talk outside"
"Oh no, I don't care, see there? A RedBull mechanic who is a friend of Giorgio and this morning there was a Alpine girl, you are here with me don't look at them"
"Yes but..."
"Got your favourite Spanish ham, my dad brought it here"
"Jamon!" I say distracted from the ham on Carlos plate
"That's my girl" he says laughing and giving it to me.

"Carlos"
"Papa" says Carlos standing up smiling
I stand up too "Hello Mr Sainz"
"Isabelle, right? I remember you" I stay still, unsure if it's a good or a bad thing "despite everything that happens..." he does a little pause and looks at his son "I admire your job, got some friend in Mercedes and they said my son and this team were stupid for letting you go"
"Ehm...thanks Mr Sainz"
"Call me Carlos" he says smiling "and don't be scared, you enjoy the Jamon I can see"
"Yes, I love it, can't wait for the Spanish GP just to eat more of it"
"Oh honey, you can come and visit whenever you want, with Lewis of course. My son's friends are always welcome"
"Thank Mr Sa... Carlos"
He smiles and walks out of the room "He knows" says Carlos looking at me "I told him what really happens so you really shouldn't worry, he really admires your work"
"Well that's a good news" I smile "Now I really have to go, gracias cabron"
"Ehi!" He acts offended but he is laughing.
Walking to the exit, I see Clara and my other ex colleagues, they are staring at me whispering, I wave at them and smile while I open the door.

On Sunday morning I wake up in Lewis arms, he is still asleep, he slowly opens his eyes and smiles
"Morning little star"
"Morning Lewis"
"My beautiful and talented girl" he says stroking my hair "so beautiful"
"Too sweet, do you want something?" I say laughing
"No, I have everything I want and..." he gets up and takes a little box from the table "it's more like I have something for you"
"Lewis! You know I hate when you do this" I say sitting up and wearing his t-shirt.
"Saw it and thought of you"
"You are not gonna escape it that easily" I grab the box and open it, a little charm is inside the box, it is a little silver star with a diamond in the centre "Lewis it is beautiful"
"You never take your necklace off but I think you can put it together in the same chain" I feel his hands on my neck, he unlocks my necklace and inserts the charm in, the little star gets close to the little silver flower charm my grandma gave me.
"It is amazing and they are perfect together"
"My little star with a little star" he says kissing me.

The race is crazy, at the start Lewis get P2 easily and he fights for the lead for the whole race, RedBull is still too strong with the DRS and it is almost impossible for us to compete when the lapped cars come in the way. And then the garage goes wild once again when Lewis overtakes Max at the last corner and wins the race.
-We did it! We fucking did it!- screams Lewis on the radio
-Amazing drive Lewis, enjoy it- reply Toto smiling

Two drivers on the podium for the team, it looks good as a start.We all run under the podium and welcome Lewis and George. Lewis parks the car a little too fast and the 1 in front of the car falls on the ground, he jumps out of the car and runs to us. The screams, the smell of sweat and fuel and the lights of the circuit tell the world one thing, Mercedes is back.

As I am walking back to the garage I hear someone screaming my name and I turn around.
"Hi, I was looking for you" a man in the RedBull shirt looks at me and gives me an envelope "this is for you, Mr Horner told me to give it to you"
"What's that?" I say not taking the envelope
"I am sorry but I don't know"
I take the envelope and touch the RedBull stamp on it "Then... thank you"

I walk to the motorhome thinking about the envelope and what it can contain, everybody is packing up to leave and I have no time to open the letter so I put it in my bag and start looking for Lewis.
"Here you are!" I say when I finally find Lewis, he is chatting with his mechanics.
"Are you ready to leave?"
"Yes and the happiness is not covering the tiredness anymore so I really need to go back to our hotel"
He smiles "Me too, let's go, see you in Jeddah boys"

As I am packing the next morning I take out the envelope I received the night before.
"What's that?" says Lewis looking at it
"I don't know actually" I say sitting down on the bed "a guy from RedBull gave it to me, he said it was from Horner"
"Now I am curious, open it" he said sitting next to me
I open the envelope and start reading the letter inside "it is a... job offer?"
"What?!?"
"I have no intention of leaving and even if I would, I'd never go there" I look at him smiling "except if you ever cheat on me, I'll go there and make sure I become your worst nightmare"
He laughs "The scary thing is that I know you would"
I give the letter to him and lay my head on his shoulder while he reads it
"You are a real target for them" he says
"Why do you think that?"
"The salary first of all and look at all the things they'd give you" he closes the letter and looks me in a serious way "You should accept so I can quit and you'll bring the money home"
"Oh fuck off" I say laughing and punching his arm, he starts laughing and he hugs me
"I am quite concerned" he says
"Why?"
"They are really trying to get you, it will be interesting to see their next move"
"That's for sure"