I Can't Make You Love Me (Part 2)

Part 2 of the breakup imagine
I think this is the saddest part. Sorry in advance :((

~

The day came where we had to go our separate ways, you spent the drive back to his house watching him drive.

He didn't sing along to the radio like he normally does. The radio wasn't even on. That was out of character for him. He didn't tap on the wheel. He wanted to drive, even though he just finished a flight. They had a break in between meet and greets at the end of June and into July.

Things were not okay.

"I'm glad you're home" you reached over and rubbed his arm.

He smiled. "I'm glad to be home" He said with relief in his voice. He had circles under his eyes and his skin was pale. Like he hadn't seen a real bed for a long time. "I missed you"

You smiled, feeling the tension that built up in your stomach, go away. Maybe things will be okay. The night before he left, the conversation was nothing but a memory. Something you didn't want to think of again. "I missed you too"

You still missed him. You missed him all the weeks he was gone. You felt like he wasn't even yours anymore. The calls got less and less frequent. And when you got him, he wasn't really there. He sounded far away when he called. Video calls were rare. He's busy, you'd tell yourself. You knew what you were signing up for. This was no shock. Lime light relationships didn't last. He needed someone who had no obligations. Someone fast paced and graceful and who knew her way planes, the club scene, how to fit in with his friends.

There was job offers in the beginning. Brand deals, as if they wanted to make money from your relationship. But you weren't ready for any of that. You weren't in it for any of that. You always prided yourself for staying away from it all. It wasn't your world. But that world came with him. Maybe someone who knew that world would be better for him.

She could fully understand what it was like to have the stresses he did. You tried. You really did, but you always felt like you were failing him. You didn't know what to do or say when he came home angry because of a comment someone made or wrote. He worried about investing right and buying property and travelling the world. You barely managed to set money aside for your rent. Sometimes he felt so far away from you and it wasn't his fault.

It broke you to accept this, of course it did. Matt was the guy you always dreamed of. The one you knew life would be easy with. You always imagined it. Coming home to him everyday. A house, babies, growing old together. Your brain wasn't ready to get used to the idea he wasn't your one and you weren't his. He wasn't just someone you had a crush on. He was someone you could cry to, who you could fall apart in front of, who could pick you up again and love you just the same. He made you snort when you laughed, cuddled you when you were sick, kissed you all the right ways, made you feel safe. That couldn't go away.

You settle on it being his night to stay over at his house. You guessed he wouldn't refuse to sleep in his own bed.

"Pizza for dinner?" You put the key in the door and pushed it open.

He nodded and let his bag fall off his shoulder as he walked in. "Sounds good"

You walked into the kitchen and searched for the pizza menus. You hear him collapse on to the couch with a sigh, followed by the sound of him kicking his shoes off.

You order the pizza and some salad and pulled a bottle of wine from the fridge.

"Should be a half hour"

"Okay" He slurred. His eyes were half closed, head tipped back and limbs sprawled out when you went into the living room.

"Don't fall asleep yet" You teased. "I haven't seen you yet" You gently sat on his lap, straddling his thighs. He took a breath as you settled yourself.