Baking

Matt took pride in a lot of things. The way he saved up his money. The way he remembered everything you needed when it was his turn to go to the grocery store. The way he could put one of your kids back to sleep after a bad night. He took pride in loving you the way you deserved to be loved. But he took most pride in his children.

He would do anything for them. And you knew this. He was at every recital, every soccer game, every teacher parent meeting. When your daughter Madison, came home one day, clutching a flyer that said 'BakeSale' you couldn't think of a better man for the job.

You knew no better man for the job. These were the kinds of things Matt looked forward to when he was away for awhile. They had been in the kitchen all morning and destroying it. But you didn't mind. The house smelled like melted butter mixed with brown sugar.

"Careful it's hot" Matt put the warm bowl in front of his daughter and handed her a wooden spoon. Matt read once, that children respond well from being trusted with tasks of a nature that they're not usually. "Can you mix it?" He asked, tying her apron.

"I can" she hummed, holding the spoon crookedly in her hand, and giving the mixture a mixing up and Matt held the bowl in place to keep it from sliding. He could smell the banana muffins getting cooked in the oven.

"Good job" Matt encouraged, as the butter and sugar formed a paste. "Make sure it's sticky like sand" He handed her the vanilla and a tablespoon. "This one next"

She nodded, struggling to open it, but eventually she managed to get it open. With his hand over hers, he helped her measure the vanilla and get it into the bowl. 

"Grandma makes these" she noted.

Matt smiled. "Yeah, she does, doesn't she?" Matt picked up the recipe for butter bars.

"Did I do it right, Daddy?" She asked, looking at him.

Matt nodded. "It looks great. Let me add the eggs, okay? Then you can keep mixing"

"What do we have here?" You hummed, walking into the kitchen. "Lady with a baby, coming in"

Matt laughed. "Couldn't resist, could you babe?" He asked, cracking eggs into the bowl.

"It's the baby's fault" you defended. "The baby's hungry" you opened the oven door, looking in at the muffin's baking.

Matt smiled, wrapping his arm around your waist  and pulling you in. He kissed your cheek, his hand rubbing your bump.

"It's the baby's fault, yeah?"

"It is" you stressed. "The baby is always hungry" you spotted a pan of already cooling muffins on the stovetop. You pulled away and took one. "Yum. These are winners"

"Mommy!" Madison scolded and you kissed her cheek. She laughed and tried to pull away. "I'm working" she said, very seriously.

"Sorry" you apologised, smiling. "Did daddy do your hair?" You looked at her messy hair.

"Yeah" she hummed and you spotted the chocolate at the corner of her lips.

You laughed. "Did you have a little taste?" You noticed some on Matt's mouth too and you wiped it off his face. "Both of you"

Matt kissed your nose. "Couldn't resist" you shook your head and fixed Madison's hair. "Make sure you mix it only until you can't see anymore of the egg. We don't want to overdo it"

Madison held her tongue between her teeth. "I got it, Daddy"

"You've got some flour in your hair" you ran your hand through the dusty strands.

"Do I?"

You nodded and patted his stomach.

"Did you need some help?"

"Can you start packing some of these up?" He looked at you, knowing how swollen your ankles were and judging how you were walking, he knew it was hurting. "Or you can go rest, like you're supposed to" He kissed you again.

"Okay, okay, I'm going. Don't go too crazy" you warned, pointing your finger. Of course you knew he would. He always did because it made Madison happy.

~~~

A short but sweet one!