A Slow Morning

You hated mornings

You hated mornings.

You always had and you knew you always would. Who enjoyed them? Going from a warm, cozy sleep to a rude awakening by an alarm, the sun or voices in the house. For hours you would be groggy and cranky and no amount of caffeine could lift your mood.

But everything changed with Matt. With him, every hour of the day was blissful. There was never enough hours to talk to him, to cuddle him, to just be with him. Every morning, you would kiss the creases on his forehead until his nose sniffled, then you'd wake him up by kissing his lips.

He was the only person who ever woke you without an immediate slap or kick into the balls. He eased you into waking up, by stroking your hair and whispers in your ear. You would roll over, eyes closed, find his lips and seal them with yours.

Each morning you spent together was the same, but different. You liked it because you didn't feel stuck in an endless cycle. Matt made sure you never felt that way so he always had a plan ready for the first few hours of your day together.

Some mornings, you would lie in bed together and talk, laugh and enjoy being with each other. You told him the dreams you had and they always made him laugh.

You would talk about your future together. The house, the dog and the family, where in the world you'd like to live and settle down. Or about adventures you would take before settling down. Maybe you would swim with dolphins or learn a new language for the fun of it.

One time, you spent hours talking about what it would be like having a pet giraffe. Would you be able to pet it? What would you feed it? What would your landlord say if he found out, or would you have to buy your own house with a big garden?

Sometimes, you skipped talking and went straight to talking. This was common in winter and you made it clear the only thing that would make you cozy, was Matt's arms. Sometimes you drifted back to sleep and sometimes you listened to music.

When the conversations and cuddles were over, you would lean to your night stand where there was always a glass of water and a small bowl of vitamins and medicine that Matt laid out the night before. When you lived alone, you always forgot to take your pills. But Matt was protective and wanted the best for you, so he took it upon himself to make sure you never missed a dose.

After your pills, it was time for a shower. Depending on the mood, you either showered together or separately. You and Matt valued alone time to be alone with your thoughts.

After you were both clean, Matt would always wrap you up in a towel, kiss your head until you gifted him with a laugh. In the winter, Matt would blow dry your hair, but in the summer, he'd run his hands through it until it began to dry on its own.

While you didn't go so far as to share a tooth brush, you did share a toothpaste which left you both with minty fresh breath and bright white teeth. You watched as Matt brushed beside you, always giddy when he exposed his little front baby bunny teeth to you. Although it was best when you came out due to a smile or laughter, you would take what she could get. After spitting, you would each rinse and then end the routine with a kiss to the lips.

For breakfast, you took turns at cooking. Matt made the best French toast but he said your pancakes were to die for. While one cooked, the other one leaned on the counter, chatting away about the news, family, friends or things you had on your mind.

When breakfast was almost ready, whoever wasn't cooking was in charge of making tea or coffee.

Across the breakfast table from each other, sometimes you would continue your chat, or read the paper. You had several papers delivered to their house each day, but only read about one a day. Matt had created a rotation so you would get full coverage of the world's events as well as information about the local goings on. Sometimes Matt  would hold the local paper up and comment about the new park opening down the street, or how the high school had won a big game against the rival.

If it was a work day, you would soon have to part ways. Sometimes Matt would hold you close, kissing your nose over and over.

So you didn't hate mornings anymore, in fact it was the favourite part of your day. Because you loved Matt and Matt made you love any hour of the day when you were around him.