Nothing Feels Like Home (2)

Day 1

You weren't beside him when he woke up and instead of your waist, his arms were wrapped around your pillow. Matt sighed and sat up.

He had a meeting with his manager today, but it wasn't until ten, so he could take his time getting ready. It wasn't unusual that you weren't in the house when he woke up, because you worked earlier. Matt wasn't happy that you left without waking him.

He got ready and went downstairs to have some coffee, leaving enough time to grab something to eat in the cafe where the meeting was being held.

There was no coffee in the pot when he went downstairs. He frowned. There was always coffee. Nobody drank it except him and you always made him a cup when you were up before him. Always.

Matt frowned at the coffee pot. He began to make his coffee, and while it was preparing, he went back to his room to get his journal. He opened it and slowly wrote, 'I appreciate it when you make me coffee in the morning even when you don't drink it'

You tried not to think about it. You buried your head in your work and focused on your clients. You kept a smile on your face, obviously fake.

Soon it was time to go home. You waited until everyone was gone, hoping someone will come up and ask you to look over something so you could take your time, but they didn't, so you finally packed up.

You took off your jacket when you got in home. You could see dinner was done on the stove, it was your favourite meal.

Matt was nowhere to be found. Usually he'd let you know if he was going to be late, but you were glad he wasn't home. You had a hot shower and cried for thirty minutes. It was therapy, you convinced yourself.

The guest bedroom was nearly set up for you.

You moved into the room, coming back into Matt's room to get the rest of your shoes.

When it was nighttime and Matt still hadn't come home, you got into bed and lay down. He isn't here. He isn't even in the house. It's been 23 hours since we last spoke. It's been 16 hours since you'd last seen him.

You opened up your phone and scrolled though your messages with Matt. The last time he text you, was two weeks ago saying 'I miss you'

Matt came home at midnight and you pretended to sleep. Instead of going to check on you, Matt headed into his room. You opened your eyes and listened to him brushing his teeth.

A tear fell from your eye. "Fuck" You made a mental note to remember to write in your journal. 'I appreciate that you help me sleep at night'

Day Two

Matt bumped into you in the kitchen. He rubbed his eyes as he walked down the stairs, half asleep. He was shocked to see you awake.

You turned and raised your eyebrow at him.

"Just wanted water" he said, scratching his arm. "I'll come back later"

You wanted to grab him and tell him it was okay and that you were leaving, but he was already gone.

Matt sat on his bed and waited for you to leave before he went back downstairs again. When he heard your room door shut, he stood up.

Matt frowned when he saw the glass of water on the counter waiting for him. He picked it up and sipped it slowly.

He wants to go back to sleep, but as soon as he lay down, his phone buzzed. As he looked at his phone, he realised no one else knew what was happening in his life the last few days.

Matt held the phone to his ear. "Hello?"

"Hi, Matt. How are you?" His Mom's voice spoke softly through the phone.