Speak Now

Matt's world collapsed the minute he got your wedding invitation. He hoped it was a joke, but no, it was real. You were getting married.

Matt remembered that he was alone in a hotel room halfway across the world from where you were when he got the phone call from two in the morning telling him that you were engaged. He knew you'd been dating a guy but you never mentioned taking the relationship to the next level.

You and Matt never dated. You were his best friend, but to him you hadn't been just that. He didn't try to make you his girlfriend because he didn't think he was ready to be in a relationship and he wasn't sure if you felt the same way. You grew up together, but it seemed like the right time never came.

"Hey, you ready?"

Matt turned away from the mirror to face Madi, who was standing at the door in his suit.

"Yeah, I'm ready. Your dress is beautiful"

"Y/N really knows how to pick a dress" She said and Matt laughed. "She wants to see you"

"Now?"

"Yeah"

"Okay, I'll be right there" Matt said, watching Madi leave. He was the best man at your wedding because you wanted him there next to your future husband as you walked down the aisle and your fiancé was more than happy to let Matt play that role.

Matt hesitated before he knocked on the door of the room you were in.

"Come in" you said and he turned the doorknob and entered.

"Wow" was all he could say when he saw your dress. You were always beautiful to him but you were perfect in your wedding dress. Matt felt a knife tear into his heart when reality sunk in and made him realise that soon, you would become someone else's wife.

"How do I look?" You asked, blushing.

"You look beautiful"

"Thank you" you said, walking towards him. He held his breath. Why did he still feel this way about someone's future wife? He felt guilty but he couldn't stop.

"You look handsome, I'm happy you're here" you said, fixing his bow tie. Matt stared at you, capturing every feature on your face, knowing he would lose you after you said your vows and kissed the love of your life.

"Madi said you wanted to see me?"

"I'm having some issues. I needed you here"

"I'm here" he said, looking into your eyes.

"Remember how we always talked about these days when we were kids? It's really happening and I..I'm scared"

Matt looked down at you, his hands now in yours.

"Why are you scared?"

"I don't think I can be someone's wife"

For a minute, Matt felt elated and full of hope, but he was quick to come to his senses that you didn't mean what you said, it was your anxiety.

"What are you talking about? This is your big day"

"I know. But.. I also don't know.." you pinched  the bridge of your nose. "I'm scared, Matt. I love my fiancé" you stepped on Matt's feelings by accident with your words. "It's scary, the thought of spending the rest of your life with one person. What if I'm rushing into things? What if I'm not ready?"

"I think these feelings are normal"

"You think I'm making the right choice?"

He could've said no and told you to cancel the wedding and run away with him. He could've said that he loved you but Matt knew love wasn't a competition and you weren't a prize.

"Are you happy with him?"

"Very"

"Then it's the right choice" he said, breaking his own heart. You were tearing up as you wrapped your arms around his neck and pulled him in for a hug. Matt wanted to scream out loud begging you not to leave and tell you he loved you. But it was too late now.

"Thank you for being my best friend" you tried not to cry and ruin your makeup. "I love you, Matt"

"I love you too"

~

The band started playing a soft song and the church doors opened wide. You were there in the most beautiful white dress with your father by your side. Matt felt his heart ache as you walked down the aisle. Matt looked down at the floor because he knew he would cry in front of everyone if he watched you

You said your vows to your future husband and he said his. Well, little did you know, Matt was already a dead man walking.

"I pronounce you husband and wife. You may kiss the bride"

You shared a kiss with your husband and all the guests stood up from their seats to cheer for your happy ending. Everyone's attention was on the newly weds and nobody noticed how Matt  was frozen in one place with tears in his eyes and sorrow filled his heart, for his best friend, his soulmate, the only girl he had ever truly loved, was now married.

~~

There is no part 2 to this 🤍