Looking Back

Monday mornings were the worst. You had to go back to school after a great weekend with your friends and family and try your best not fall asleep during math class. This was why you hated Monday, not to mention the obnoxious guys you had to sit next to.

Even on a Monday, they were loud and rowdy, throwing paper balls at each other and talking over the teacher until she gave up on her lesson. Math wasn't your favourite subject, but it was important to do well in your exams. But in order to pass, you needed to learn. Your poor teacher was no match for these guys and you were worried there was no hope for you with the exams.

"Settle down, class" The teacher, Mrs K said to the class. She was at your school for decades and it seemed she had lost interest in fighting with her students.

"How was your weekend, Mrs K?" The question came from Matt Sturniolo, the ringleader of the obnoxious guys in your class.

"Fine, thank you, Matt. How was yours, dare I ask?" All she received was a smirk from Matt and the catcalls that sounded around the classroom.

You rolled your eyes and leaned you head in your hands, looking at the board, in the hopes if you stared long enough, it would make sense. Just as you felt yourself falling asleep, a low whisper sent shivers up your spine. "Are you as bored as I am?"

You turned and met the blue eyes of Matthew Sturniolo. His expression gave nothing away, his close proximity making it seem like whispering was a common thing. He nor his friends, had looked twice at you.

"More confused than bored" You finally answered, meeting his eyes.

"What are you confused about?" He asked, furrowing his brow. He leaned in, his elbow on your desk. You moved back a bit, not used to someone invading your space like he did.

"Confused about your lack of respect for personal space" You stared at his elbow that was touching yours. He raised his eyebrows and smirked, pulling his elbow back.

"Is it the equations?" He asked, looking at the bored.

"It's everything" You sighed, looking down at your notes you had taken in previous classes. "I didn't get the first part so none of this makes sense"

"She's a bit of a rubbish teacher, huh?"

"I think she'd be better if she could teach without being interrupted" You glanced back at his friends who were looking at you both with interest. You leaned back, as far away from Matt as you could and tried to pay attention to the lecture. Your attention span was gone again once you felt a nudge against your elbow.

Looking down, you found Matt sliding over a stack of papers, his eyes focused on the board. You sighed and moved your elbow, allowing him to put them on your desk. You looked through the notes and saw they were dated back to the first day of class, all detailed and much better than yours.

"Alright, that's it for today. Don't forget we have the test on Friday" You looked up at the teacher dismissing the class, twenty minutes before the class was supposed to end. You picked up your notes and Matt's and put them into your backpack.

Matt stood up, stretching and laughing at a joke his friend came out with. You looked at him, but he seemed keen to ignore you now. He picked up his backpack and walked out the door. You went after him, grabbing his arm and he turned towards you.

"Thanks?" You questioned, pushing a strand of hair behind your ear.

He shrugged and smiled. "No problem. They might do you more good than me"

"Yeah" you cleared your throat and looked behind Matt to see your friends coming out of their classes. "I better go. I'll give these back before Friday"