The Light at the Tunnel (part 2)

"So, how's living with Matt going?" Chloe asked, tapping on her text book. The two of you were sat at a picnic table near the library. First, you planned to go there, but it was a beautiful day. Chloe hated studying, that's why you preferred the library because she can't really talk in there. You needed the extra study time, law was hard enough on it's own, especially for you since you didn't want to study it.

"Uh..it's fine" you mumbled, highlighting a line on your page, but you notice how you stiffen up at his name.

You were living with Matt for three weeks now. Three weeks since he made it clear you will never be friends. You allowed yourself one night of pity before you told yourself that's it not worth it if he didn't want to be your friend, his loss, right? You didn't need him to like you.

Living together was neutral. Both of you were living according to what you discussed. Matt didn't line up at the bathroom and he let you know when he was leaving or when he came back, even if it was just a knock of your door. He slept at someone else's house one weekend and left you a note that he would be back on Sunday.

You always hear him when he's at home, you haven't been able to not listen to him. His footsteps, the way he makes dinner or the music he listens to. He was a good room mate. Not messy, at least outside his room, he cleaned up the kitchen after himself, you didn't find hair in the sink after he shaved and he made sure his music wasn't too loud.

But, he was still ice cold towards you.

"Just fine? Where's the dirty details? How many girls has he brought up?" Chloe pushes more and more and you gave up, dropping your pen.

"None. He's a good room mate, we have rules" you simply said.

"No girls?" She raised her eyebrow. "I thought he'd be a lady's man"

"Me too" you agreed. You didn't pay attention, but she was right. You always thought Matt was popular amongst women and he used it, but now that you think about it, you never saw him with anyone. No making out at parties and you don't remember him leaving a party early to hook up with someone.

"Maybe he's testing the waters. One night, you'll wake up to it" She laughed and you frowned at the thought.

"I hope not. I'm not interested in hearing that"

"You never thought about it?"

"What?" You coughed at the unexpected question.

"Come on, he's obviously good looking. Don't tell me you haven't thought about sleeping with him"

Of course you did. But you're not gonna admit that.

"Uh.." you breathed out and she continued.

"The rings, the hair. I bet he is good, a guy like him just can't simply suck at it"

"Chloe, are you trying to tell me something? You might be having a crush on Matt?" You asked, raising your brow.

"Crush? No" she laughed. "I'm not blind. But I used to think he was into you"

"Me? What makes you think that?"

On the outside, it's obvious Matt didn't like you. Your friends just thought the two of you weren't close, they didn't feel the hatred you do radiating from Matt. But do you think he was ever into you? That was a shock.

"I remember when we first met him, at the party. He always stood close to you, I caught him staring a few times and he looked very interested in you, just didn't know how to approach you. I saw that look a few times, but not lately" She shrugged.

Matt? Interested in you? He made it clear he was anything but interested, but could it be the situation in the past? You remember the first time you two met, you found him good looking, but you didn't see what Chloe did. And now, you find out that he was interested in you? That didn't add up with now he acted.