I Do (part 1)

He was watching you flit across the room and hug his grandmother, who cupped your cheeks between her hands, before kissing you with her coral-pink lipstick smeared lips. Her special lipstick. Only for really special things, and only to be left on the cheeks of very special people.

Matt smirked, and shoved a hand deeper into the pocket of his trousers, holding the glass of beer, between his fingers. He was lost in watching you move across the room. It was like the atmosphere around you lit up. This was what he going to get to see everyday. He was going to be yours everyday. He was going to see the flush of your cheeks when you roused from sleep. He was going to make your tea every morning. No more early morning 'Good morning, baby,' phone calls from opposite sides of the city, like it had been in the early days, with you still at university.

Now, you had your own home. Fresh and newly bought. You chose it together and spent a few nights eating takeout, falling asleep on air mattresses, drinking out of random dishes, arguing over paint colour, were the decorations he hung up, crooked? He was going to yours and you were going to be his.

"You're staring" He heard his Mom from beside him.

Matt turned and looked at his Mom, with a glass in her hand.

Matt laughed. "You caught me"

MaryLou leaned back and looked at the group of friends and family that had gathered for the rehearsal dinner, the night before the big day.

"You can look at her like that for the rest of your life"

Matt smirked, liking the sound of that.

"She's great, Matt" She praised. "She's wonderful"

Matt looked back at you. "Yeah.." He breathed. "She's amazing" He watched his grandfather pull you in for a dance, smiling when your lips pulled into a big smile and he could hear your laugh.

"She makes you happy" MaryLou added, smiling at her son. She wanted to look at him for a minute. Just for a minute, he looked like a man. Not a little boy. "And that makes me happy" She looked around the space you had rented to host the dinner. The walls were glass panels that were cut away, giving space of an elegant feel. If you were sat the private bar, you could see the main dining room below. "This is beautiful"

Matt nodded. It took a while to find, lots of calls and late night searching online, reading reviews to each other. But, you decided this would be perfect.

He smiled and slipped his hand into hers, squeezing it. "It is" He looked around. There was on beautiful thing on his mind and she was across the room

MaryLou looked down at their hands. "You're never too old to hold your mom's hand, huh?"

Matt shook his head, drinking his beer. "Never"

"One of my little boys is getting married tomorrow"

Matt sighed. "Mom.."

"I know. I'm already ready to cry and it's not even the big day yet. Don't make fun of me now"

Matt shook his head. "Mom I'm not.." He started softly.

"I'm glad to see you make each other so happy and I'm glad you have each other, it's impossible to ignore what's meant to be"

She gave him one long look, before pushing him in your direction. "Go get her"

Matt smiled at her, leaving his Mom at the bar and walking across the floor. He paused and said hello to some guests. He nearly got stuck with Nate, but managed to get past him. The room was full of dishes clinking and silverware scraping and glasses clinking in celebration.