Baby Cuddles

Slipping the key into the lock, you felt relieved. This week was the most tiring of your life, it was your first week back to work since becoming a Mom. You were fortunate enough to stay home with your daughter during the first stages of her life, but after six months, you had to go back to work. You closed the door quietly behind you, unsure if Matt got her to sleep or not. You took off your shoes and left them by the door. Walking through the large entry, you could hear the low hum of the TV coming from the living room. A children's song drones on as you pad through the house, assuming that means Matt's finishing up dinner with your daughter. You stop in your tracks when you gets to the cozy living space, the sight before you immediately making your eyes well with tears, and not just from the motherhood hormones either.

You found Matt sprawled across the couch, his shirt up around his tummy and his grey sweatpants loose. On his chest, was your daughter with her fingers curled into his shirt. Your feet carry you the short distance to the couch, kneeling down in front to get a closer look. Her lashes curl just perfectly along her chubby little cheeks and you smile as you comb your fingers through the tiny wispy curls that are already forming on her head. Your presence woke up Matt eventually.

"I want a cuddle but I don't want to wake her" you sighed, feeling the need to have your baby wrapped up in your arms, but she was content where she was .

"How about" Matt started, rubbing your arm. "You go change in comfy clothes and I'll bring her up? We can both have a cuddle"

"I like that" you agreed. "And when it's time for feeding, I can just take my boob out"

He pats at your shoulder, pointing in the direction of the sprawling staircase. Obeying silently with feet patting against the oak floors you make your way to the master suite. Your feet curl immediately into the plush rug, walking to the window to draw the curtains and taking in the view of the skyline just before doing so. Humming to yourself you peel off your work clothes, sighing gratefully when the tight trousers slide down your legs and your bra crumples in a heap at your feet. You put on one of Matt's shirts and a pair of sweatpants.

Just as you got into bed, you could hear Matt in the hallway and fussy noises coming from your baby.

"Hi, sweet girl" you lit up when the  two of them came into the room.

"Look who it is" Matt said softly, resting the baby beside you on the bed. Her eyes go to you immediately as she tried to grab your nose.

"Hello, my girl. Are you saying hello to mommy?" You rubbed your hand along her chubby belly. Matt got into the bed at the other side of her and he reached over to squeeze your side. You've never been struck harder with the realisation that nothing outside of this room matters. You watch as your baby's little eyes flutter shut again, whispering softly with Matt  about your day and his. He tells you everything, down to the Paw Patrol episode you missed today.

"You're such a good dad, it's like you didn't even need me today," you joke.

"You wouldn't say that if you saw her at feeding time" Matt argued, laughing at his own joke. "She knows I'm not giving the the good stuff"

You giggle at that, and as if on cue, the baby fussed awake, already turning to reach for her mother's chest. You share a private laugh, popping the pacifier out of her mouth.

"It's alright baby, mommy's gotcha."