My Way Back (10)

You hate everything.

You hate the drunk driver who couldn't bother to be responsible and who crashed into you that night. You hate that Matt's brain couldn't heal itself properly. You hate that his memories were in shambles. You hated that you were among them.

You hate Nicole. You hate that you had to fight against her for Matt's love.

You hate your quiet apartment and your empty bed. You hate the coffee machine that mocked you. You hate going places that reminded you of Matt.

You hate that your whole life changed. You hate that you can't get it back. You hate that you lost everything.

You didn't want to be here anymore.

You made the decision to leave to be with your parents again. You're going to live your own life again, because now you need to. It's all you can do.

You grabbed your water and walked over to your laptop, not sure what you were looking for, but you knew you wanted to be far away from here.

You suddenly feel your foot catch on the strap of your purse that you carelessly left on the ground, which caused your body to fall down to the floor and the glass to shatter next to you.

You brought your arms to the side of your head as your tears spilled. This may be the lowest you felt and the perfect example of how life has been. You were alone, crying on the ground, surrounded by shattered pieces of what you've been holding on to.

As you placed your palms on the ground to push yourself up, a sharp pain shoots through your right hand. You turned it over and saw a piece of glass embedded into your skin and the blood dripping.

"Fuck!"

As you began to wash the blood away under the water, you heard a knock on your door. You felt frustrated, you wished Kelsey would just leave you alone for tonight, but she won't. Only because she cares.

You looked up and noticed that you left the door unlocked.

"Come in.." you grumbled, loud enough for her to hear, turning your focus back to cleaning your hand. You hissed at the pain when you heard the door open.

"Y/N.."

Your body froze as you heard the voice. Now the cut wasn't the only pain you felt, and the person who normally took it away, caused it.

You looked up and saw him. He took a few more steps inside and he looked down at your hand.

"Are you alright?"

He rushed over to you, missing the pile of glass on the floor

He gently grabbed your hand and assessed the wound, concentrating. Every fibre in your body reacted to his touch and your heart started to race. You haven't felt it in so long. All you could do is stare.

"Stay right there" He said, going into the bathroom and showing up beside you again.

He took your hand and squeezed some anti septic cream on your cut, causing you to moan in pain.

"Sorry. Are you okay?" He asked and grabbed the bandage.

"Matt-"

"Nearly done" he interrupted, taking care of you. Of your wound. If only it were easy for the rest of the hurt you were feeling.

You were frozen, unable to think of why he was here and what he was going here.

With the bandage secure, holding your hand in his, he ran his thumb over your palm.

"Are you hurt anywhere else?" He asked quietly.

You shook your head and he locked eyes with you, waiting for you to say something. But you couldn't.