A PR Stunt (1)

Keeping up appearances on social media was a delicate balance.

If you were being honest, everything Z Star Digital advised to you, worked very very well. When they suggested music, they set you up with amazing producers and your music sales and streams went crazy. The hours you put into social media training helped, helping you learn the ropes.

But now, they might be going too far.

"Laura" you began with a sigh, shaking your head. "I don't know about this one"

"It's just for a few months before and during the tour" she explained from across the table. "You'll be seen in public a few times to get publicity for the tour and your album, maybe do a tik tok or two together, some light PDA"

Laura never did anything that didn't help your career. It wasn't hard to believe that she just wanted the best.

But something was holding you back.

"I went through a public breakup" you said, fiddling with your ring. "Isn't it too soon?"

"If anything, it will make your ex look worse than he already does after what he did to you" The idea of revenge perked your ears. "It doesn't hurt that Matt is so loved and known for being a good guy"

You only met Matt once or twice

"Listen" she started. "No one cares about the opening act. No one bought tickets for you. They were here to see the triplets. Matt" Her words stung but they were true. "If they think you're in Matt's life, they'll care about you too. And they'll keep on caring" She gave you a gentle smile. "He's a great guy"

"I know" you let out a deep breath. "Fine" you gave in, throwing your arms in the air. "I'm in"

Laura smiled widely. "Thank you. I'll call Matt and tell him it's on" You watched as she stood up from her chair. "You won't regret this"

"I better not" you laughed, shaking your head.

What did you get yourself into?

~

The answer to that question came two weeks later when you were sitting across from Matt at a small outdoor lunch spot in LA. A small place, not too flashy, so it didn't look like it was seeking attention. It was only a matter of time before he got recognised and it was guaranteed to be all over social media minutes later.

You were nervous. The bags under your eyes showed your trouble sleeping leading up to this. At the end of the day, you would have countless things mentioning you and possibly anger fan girls coming after you, even though the 'relationship' wouldn't be confirmed for a few weeks.

You stood in front of your closet for an hour, trying on outfits before finally deciding on a red flared trousers and a white crop top, with heeled leather boots.

You did your make up, matching your lipstick with your trousers and you spent too long in the mirror fussing with your hair, hoping it would go the way you wanted it to.

When you arrived at the lunch spot, Matt sat across from you. You both sat awkwardly in silence, both sipping on your drinks quietly because it was something to do with your hands and you didn't have to talk.

"How did you get talked into this?" Matt broke the silence.

"Oh Laura" you said, letting out a long sigh. "I was convinced somewhere in between 'make your ex look bad' and a 'no one cares about the opening act'" you laughed

"She's not gentle, is she?" Matt replied, making you laugh.

"She knows where to hit you to make it hurt" you laughed, nodding in agreement. "How did she convince you?"

"She just said I haven't dated anyone since we blew up"

From that point, the conversation flew as you learned how easy he was to talk to. He laughed at your jokes and you laughed at his. He had a calming quality. You were shocked to find that you wanted him to be a friend. He was so nice and such a good listener.

The conversation took a turn when Matt's power of knowing when his picture was being taken, kicked in. "Give me your hand" he said to you. "Don't look but there's someone across the street taking pictures"

That brought you back to the reality that you weren't really friends and this was for show.

You rested your hand on top of his. The cool metal of his rings felt good against your skin.

You couldn't help but feel a dishonest weight pulling on your heart. You knew this was for the best, but it felt wrong.

"Matt" you started, knowing the people across the street were out of ear shot. Matt looked up from your hand to your eyes. "Does this feel wrong to you at all?"

"What do you mean?"

"It feels dishonest. Like, we're lying to your fans"

"I try not think of it as lying" He said, after a minute of thinking. "When you look at it as lying, it weighs you down. We try to be honest as much as possible, but that's not always what people want to see"

"I understand"

You sat together for another hour or so before you decided to head home. You found your way going back to a nice conversation, but Matt's comment weighed on your mind.

Then you weren't sure if it was worth it. You were good at dodging questions, but you weren't a liar. You hoped you or Laura hadn't bitten off more than we could chew.

"Thank you for a very nice date, Matt" you said, winking and laughing along with the extra emphasis you out on the word 'date'

"You're welcome" he smiled at you. He opened up the drivers side door for you like a gentleman. His body hovered yours as you both stood inside the open door. He leaned down and pressed a kiss to your cheek.

You watched as he walked backwards, taking your hand until he was too far and let it fall back to your body.

You got into the drivers seat and you were ready to leave when you heard a knock on the window. Matt was motioning for you to put the window down. When you did, he leaned in.

"A word of advice" he started with a tender tone, locking eyes with you. "Don't look on social media when you go home, people can be mean" you nodded and he bit his lip. "And when you can't resist, text me if you want to talk about it"