The Light at the Tunnel (part 3)

t was no surprise you didn't sleep much. You kept thinking about the things Matt said and didn't say and what he possibly wanted to say. It was an itch that didn't leave you alone, bugging you all night.

You were up early, you couldn't pretend to be resting any longer so you gave up and started the day.

When you heard Matt's door open, you had his coffee ready and some breakfast ready for him. You were sat on the kitchen stool, textbook lying open when Matt's footsteps echoed down the hallway and a few minutes later, he appeared, rubbing his eyes.

"Morning" you greet him

"Is it really morning?" He asked with a frown and you laughed. "Are you always studying? Every time I see you, you have a book open in front of you" He said and grabbed some water from the fridge and drank some.

"I study law. That needs a lot of time and energy"

"I know, but I know other people who study law and they don't always study"

"Well..it happens when you're not good at it" you bit your lip and avoided his gaze.

"Then why do you study it?" He joined you at the kitchen island while you keep staring at the book.

"Because it's expected from me" you whispered, fidgeting with your pen.

Matt stayed quiet and you wished you could hear his thoughts, but he didn't speak.

"I made you some coffee" you nodded towards the cup on the counter

"Thank you, you shouldn't have" He smiled and picked up the cup.

"Thought you might need it after last night" you laughed, dropping your pen and looking at him.

"Yeah, about that" He cleared his throat and looked at you. "I'm sorry for getting that drunk. I don't know what got into me" he sighed. "I just..I don't know"

"It's okay, it happens" you reassure him. "Do you..what do you remember from last night?" You asked the question that you were dying to ask all night. He was drunk and you knew there was a chance he wouldn't remember.

"Not much" He admitted, scratching the back of his neck. "I remember we took an Uber, then I showered and woke up in my bed. Did you have to put me to bed?"

"Well, you fell asleep on the toilet so I helped you a bit" you nodded, disappointed he didn't remember the major parts. Like how held your face or what he wanted to tell you before you fell asleep.

"Oh fuck. I'm sorry" He sighed, shaking his head.

"It's okay" you laughed.

"Was I naked?" He asked, horror all over his face.

"No"

"Thank God" he laughed, his head falling backwards.

You settled in silence, but you can feel something hanging in the air between the two of you and it was telling you that Matt remembered more than he was letting on.

"Y/N?" He asked, breaking the silence and you looked at him.

"Yeah?"

"Can I ask a favour?"

"Sure" You nodded

"Can we..can we start over? Without any questions? Like we met for the first time?"

His request shocked you because you can read between the lines. With this he acknowledged the way he acted towards you in the past and he wants to move on and never talk about it.

"I would love that" you tell him and it seemed he was holding his breath, waiting for you to say something.

"Great, thank you" he nodded, with a relived smile. "So..uh, hi, I'm Matt. Nice to meet you" He held out his hand for you. You laughed and took his hand.