Chapter 14: King of Wanderers (4)

Am I going the right way? Unsure of everything in the unfamiliar dark of night, I tread carefully along the instructions Lee Sookyung gave me.

What if I took a wrong turn somewhere? What if I missed a sign? What if no one is at the station I'm going to? Doubts plagued my mind. And I loathed myself for it.

Sometimes I wondered if I could only be a main character that would be confident, analytical and calm, but alas, I was a different kind of human.

[You look like a thief trying to sneak around. Relax, you're not in danger.]

Beside me was my only anchor, ironically, because I shouldn't find any solace in a Dokkaebi's presence.

"You're not wrong. We're sneaking in as a thief to get information." I replied, but my eyes were on the road ahead, not wanting to miss any signs.

"Oh, and it should be here..." gesturing down the stairs with my finger, I descended into Indeogwon station. The people walking around in vigilance in patrols did not elicit any fear in me as I drifted along, trying to memorize the layout of the station as well as search for the leaders.

In place of the bright lights that illuminated the station before the scenarios began were the emergency lights sporadically shedding whatever light they could, which neglected the few other dim and dark spots.

It impaired my view, as I did not possess any skills pertaining to night-vision, nor were my stats high enough.

A few shadowy figures of people shifted in a corner.

"I heard something big is going down tomorrow." I heard someone whisper.

Leaning closer to hear the conversation better, I eavesdropped on the convenient piece of information.

"What's happening tomorrow?" The conversation partner asked with interest.

The other man smiled at the interest his partner showed and said, "Our boss is planning an ambush on another group. I heard this from an insider. Maybe if we also contribute to the ambush, our standing will go up."

"Really? How reliable is this information anyway? Still, this is a chance..."

Having gotten the reaction he wanted, the two began a heated but quiet discussion, and I departed, because I was in a rush against time.

"So then Youngkik, want to contribute by telling me who and where the leader and vice leader are?"

[That's not in the contract, and you know it. Besides, why would I get myself involved in Earthling matters?] Youngkik replied in disgust.

"Fair enough." Not wishing to waste time getting into a bickering bout with Youngkik, I instead focused on the matter at hand.

I kept my ears open to the possible streams of information, quickening my pace as I searched through the large, spacious station in the dark, trying to find the leader.

Not him, not her, not that one...

Anxiety began to creep up my spine as time passed, but even as I listened to the secretive whispers from time to time about the information they had on the ambush, no one had described what their 'boss' looked like, nor their name. All I knew was the gender, which everyone used 'he' or 'him' from time to time.

"The time has been decided, at around 5 o'clock tomorrow morning, we'll set out."

"What's the use of telling time at a time like this? We don't even know if it's 8 or 10 or 11 tonight," another joked back.

I turned away.

"Dear, stop snoring."

Miscellaneous information threaded through other ones, and I felt like the whispers of others did not help my anxiety.