Chapter 57: Anna Croft (3)

For the next morning and afternoon, Anna Croft appeared to be searching for something in Washington DC, and I had a front row seat to how undead-infested the city truly was.

There was practically no lifeform, only the undead.

I also wasn't sure what Anna Croft was trying to get me to see as she dragged me around.

"Watch out!"

While I was spaced out, Iris yanked me to the side, and a shadow of an unidentified creature passed the spot I was just at.

It landed on all fours and darted away.

The creature looked a little like a cat.

"Anna," Iris called, a serious expression on her face.

Learned from experience, encountering even a single creature meant there were more. And if it was a creature that could get past detection, it was all the more worrisome.

Anna had noticed as well, however,

"This is the last part we haven't visited. They should be here. We can't go back." Anna replied with her signature calm tone as she looked forward with a spark of determination.

What is it that Anna Croft is looking for? To the point she is willing to risk the danger?

Wondering this, I walked along the group in the eerily compacted city, where countless cars were motionless on the roads, and garbage rolled across the ground unattended, save for the occasional far-off howl.

Everyone was on high alert, for it was too quiet.

We should have heard the undead in the area, but if there were no sounds, it signaled one of three things.

1. There were truly no undead in the area.

2. The undead they were facing were lying around in wait, quietly prowling around with stealth.

3. There was a force strong enough to deter the undead.

Luckily, however, even during our whole journey, we were not attacked again, and found ourselves at the United States Capitol. It was a historical government building of the senate and house of representatives...in an older past.

It stood up by its lonesome, with a giant gaping hole and scorched pillars.

I remembered walking by the White house and peering through its black bars, feeling strange on the whole matter. A few months ago, the president would be inside, and the world would still be running.

And here, the old congress would have their meetings and debates.

But, that was too far away for me to emphasize with.

"Let's go in." Anna Croft called to her members.

The dust and debris cracked under our feet as we entered, and soon we were greeted to a spectacular hall.

Some of the pillars around had been knocked over, the tapestries burnt and ragged, as well as the partially exposed roof, but for the most part, it still looked full of splendor.

And within that splendor stood a crystal around two people tall, glowing a comforting and cold yellow.

"There!" Iris couldn't help but give an exclamation of excitement.

It was known as a [Moon Stone].

As soon as I laid eyes on it, I understood all at once what made Anna Croft search for it despite all the troubles.

The being that hatched out of it would be a 'guide' from a different dimension from Earth, and would help teach the participants a way to combat against the disaster. I made a guess as to the ability the being inside would teach.