Chapter 67: Daybreak (3)

What's happening over there?

I heard an audible gulp from near me, and realized it had been Thomas who had swallowed nervously.

Through the undead energy chilling my skin, I asked Thomas a question.

"Whose side are you on?"

"Pardon?" With fear still fresh in his eyes, he looked at me with confusion.

"Are you going to be on Anna's side, or as an enemy? Why do you know so much about her circumstances?" I narrowed my eyes.

Thomas opened his mouth and closed it, resembling a goldfish, then bitterly shook his head, "There's no point in asking that at this point. I am on the side of humanity. Although I may have a rivalry with that Anna Croft, we are not enemies-"

Then, Thomas suddenly exclaimed animatedly.

"If we were ambushed like this, then...! No, no, I'm being warned." Colour was draining from Thomas's face as he trembled, face full of fearful realization of something I didn't.

After his rambling, he noticed that I and the others had been staring at him quietly with various expressions.

"I, um, thank you for saving us, but I need to check up on something. Sorry."

His eyes were shifting around and he was sweating, face still chalk white.

I grabbed onto his arm before he could escape, "Wait."

Thomas looked at me with a pleading look in his eyes as he mumbled,

"Please."

He...

There was something in the way he was looking at me that caused my hold to loosen.

"Thank you."

Without realizing it, I watched on as Thomas and his other surviving team members were sprinting through the streets with urgency, even when they tripped over debris, their steps resounding over the ground.

-Step, step, step!-

I looked down at my hand.

Why had I let go?

Also...

Why did Thomas react like that earlier? I wondered, but I didn't have the luxury to analyze it further.

-WOONG!-

"Ugh."

A blast of renewed energy causing another deeper chill to pervade my body snapped my attention back to over the distance where the source was coming from.

I need to go there.

Traveling the opposite direction that Thomas had departed in, I rushed across the ground toward the source of the undead energy.

"Secretive Plotter, Sorrowful Heart of Silver, can you fill me in on what's going on?" I asked with urgency, hoping they would provide me with information.

['Sorrowful Heart of Silver' tells you in distress that you will not like what you will see.]

[The constellation, 'Secretive Plotter', says you shouldn't have let the boy go earlier.]

Their words were making the stone in my stomach sink further.

"Can you tell me in more detail?"

[The constellation, 'Secretive Plotter', says that you should see for yourself.]

['Sorrowful Heart of Silver' apologizes.]

I bit my lips, saying nothing more. Instead, I sped up, chanting only one word in my mind.