Tapestry Talk

A few weeks had passed since Ryker and Zaria got married and they hadn't talked much to each other. Zaria went to see if she could get some nice ingredients together and get into the kitchen, making a special dish from home. She went to the village and went to do some shopping.

She went to some stands where they sold a wide variety of meats and vegetables. She saw two ducks hanging on a hook and remembered a great recipe her father used to make with wild duck. "Excuse me, can I buy those two ducks?" She asked the man behind the stand. "And what can you offer in return, misfit?" He asked as he leaned against the table.

"Excuse me?" Zaria asked stunned. "Why should I sell you anything while you are an outsider of our tribe and a bringer of bad luck to everyone here? Someday, something is going to happen and you will be the cause of it." The grumpy man told her. "What does it matter where I'm from? I'm just a regular person with no means to bring harm of bad luck to anyone! I just want to buy some produce and wild game meat to cook dinner." Zaria defended herself, but it didn't seem to be of much effect.

"I stand by it. You are a bad influence to us all. I have no idea what the chief sees in you, but Ryker has every right not to love you." He grabbed the hook and pulled the two dead ducks off of it. "Why is everyone against me?" Zaria was desperate to know. "Everyone has heard the tales of how you resisted to Ryker during your wedding night. Resisting to your husband's will is an act of immaturity, and the son of the chief deserves a lady. Not a child." A woman that walked by and overheard the conversation said to her.

Zaria did her best not to show them her emotions, but she was incredibly hurt by the things these people said and how they treated her. She held her head high and finished off her shopping before going back to the Great Hall and walked to the kitchen, dropping off all the ingredients she just got and stormed into one of the nearest rooms where she broke down in tears.

Her tears fell down on the skirt of her dress and left a large wet spot on her knees. She cried until she heard someone clearing his voice. "I hope I am not disturbing?" Ragnar stepped up to her. Zaria turned herself away, not realizing he was in the room. "What is the matter, dear child?" Ragnar sat down opposite of her, willing to listen to her pain.

"Please, don't call me that." Zaria begged him through her sobs. "And why shouldn't I?" Ragnar wondered. "Because everyone hates me. They think I am an immature child because of my wedding night with Ryker." She told him. "Because Ryker didn't treat you with love and respect? Give you pain instead of pleasure?" He asked her.

Zaria nodded to him to confirm it to him. Ragnar sighed out. "I was afraid that was to be spread through the village." He looked away. "What do you mean?" Zaria sniffed and wiped some tears away. "I overheard some of the other witnesses complain after we left you on your wedding night. I warned them, but it looks like they did not listen to my warning. I will make sure this misunderstanding is to be out of this world." Ragnar was really serious about this matter.

"And may I be honest with you? I think you are much more mature than my son is. It proves that my son is still acting like he used to when he was a teenager. I had hoped he would grow to be more mature since you two are married, but the way you tell me he has been treating you tells me he has a lot of work to do about himself. You may speak up your mind to him if he does something you can't stand. He should learn how to respect and love you and make your marriage work. Please, bear with him a little longer and you will see he will change if he is given some time." Ragnar pleaded with Zaria.

"I will, but the only people who support me are you and Viggo. The rest of the villagers say I am a misfit and a bringer of bad luck. Their words hurt me so bad." Zaria pressed her arms firmly against her. "Hmm, that is new to me. Has this been for a long time?" Ragnar looked up surprised. "I believe it has been a while, yes. But I heard about it today." Zaria told him.