Chapter 24

24: No Adoption

Lin Miao realized that the Young Master's mother wasn't referring to godmothers when she brought up the topic. She knew what dowry was.

Lin Miao remembered a similar situation in her village: it happened to Little Ling, the youngest girl who went to pick firewood with Lin Miao

Little Ling's Second Uncle didn't have any children so she was given to him by people in the neighbouring village. She couldn't call her birth parents "mother" and "father". She had to call them Third Aunt and Third Uncle, and address Second Uncle and Second Aunt "father" and "mother" instead. Little Ling wasn't allowed to return to the neighbouring village either. Everyone in Lin Miao's village said that Second Uncle and Aunt were very kind to her, that they would prepare her dowry for her, and that Little Ling in return has to take care of Second Uncle and Aunt when they age and retire...

But Little Ling told Lin Miao in private that she hated Second Uncle's family because they gave birth to a younger brother who frequently hit her. He would even hit Lin Miao too. Little Ling said her happiest time of the day was going out to pick firewood with her. She said she was fine with taking care of Second Uncle and Aunt, but she didn't want the dowry, and that she just wanted to return home...

The adults didn't allow her to go back and instead told her to take care of her younger brother and promised to prepare dowry for her. Little Ling sincerely told the other girls who went with Lin Miao that she just wanted to return home because she wouldn't be bullied there...

So, when Lin Miao heard the word "dowry" from the mother, her mind halted and her nose suddenly felt sour. Tears uncontrollably started to flow down her cheeks.

Was she becoming Little Ling?

Could she not call her parents "mother" and "father" anymore?

Could she not return home? Is she stuck here? Even during the New Year?

Lin Miao panicked. She had never been so scared, it was more terrifying than being kidnapped.

She had never been away from her home for so long. The longest she had been away before were during the hours of school in the town. She had been yearning to return during the New Year. But now, they were suddenly demanding her to see them as their new parents, making it impossible for her to go home in the New Year. So, Lin Miao's emotions spilled out all at once.

The adults, who were smiling, were shocked by Lin Miao. "What's wrong?"

Lin Miao thought that it was punishment for mistreating the Young Master.

Because she had made his life miserable by running around under the sun and letting him catch the winds.

But, but... she couldn't think of any alternatives back then.

Lin Miao felt worse the more she thought. She wanted to explain and promise that she would never create hardships for the Young Master again...

But she was so sad that she couldn't say a single word.

The mother was frightened, "It's okay, it's okay, go on, say whatever you need to, don't be afraid..."

Lin Miao was finally able to stop. She spoke, sobbing, "From now... on... I will... take care... of... my... older brother... and... I will take... care... of you too... I... don't... want the... dowry."

The Young Master's parents thought that she would accept, filled with joy. She wouldn't have to return to her remote village and she would be treated with beautiful clothes and delicious dishes. Don't all kids love these things?

Especially the Young Master's mother. She already felt that they owed this child, so she tried to comfort Lin Miao, "Shuishui, don't be worried, speak slowly, don't cry, there's no need to cry."