2 | Crossroads

Love is the most beautiful of dreams
and the worst of nightmares.
- Aman Jassal

Jin stepped back inside Jungkook's hospital suite and found the latter still sleeping. While he's mad at his bestfriend, he's the only one the younger has in New York, and truthfully speaking, he can't find it in his heart to stay mad at Jungkook.

Jin witnessed all the scarifices and hard work that Jungkook had to go through to be a successful artist as he is now. He also know, for a fact, how much Jungkook loves Taehyung. However, after Jungkook won his first Grammy, he slowly lost his way. Fame went into his head as he got invited to A-List parties left and right, had several collab proposals from bigger artists and secured more international performances.

In the course of it all, Jungkook lost time and attention for Taehyung. The latter was quite understanding and patient at first, until Jungkook became colder and irritable towards him. Taehyung felt so helpless as he could not even do anything about it as their relationship wasn't even public to begin with. He couldn't even visit Jungkook wherever he was as they can't risk being seen together.

Jin actually felt so bad for Taehyung. He could even remember one specific incident when the latter prepared a surprise dinner date for Jungkook to celebrate their eleventh anniversary in a famous New York restaurant. Taehyung paid to have it closed for the entire night, using his hard earned money which he saved for years. Because, unlike Jungkook's profession, Taehyung was just a simple barista in a famous coffee place in New York. He had to sacrifice his flourishing career in advertising to move to New York and be with Jungkook. Of course, Jungkook gives him allowance, but he never really used it for his personal expenses. He would just deposit a portion of it in the bank and the rest he invests in buying and maintaining small apartment units in Korea to turn them into Airbnb places.

Jin can still remember the hurt and disappointment in Taehyung's face when he was the one who came to the dinner only to tell Taehyung that Jungkook couldn't make it. Why? The latter got so drunk in a party that he passed out and Jin had to bring him home.

Taehyung was so hurt that he took the next flight home to Korea. Jungkook had to apologize profusely and convinced him to go back to New York. After three weeks, Taehyung did come back when Jungkook appeared at his apartment in Seoul one day. Taehyung thought that things would get better from then on. However, after a month, Jungkook was back to being an insensitive and selfish jerk.

Taehyung had to endure everything — even more serious incidents than a missed anniversary date. He thought that he could live through it all, until the most recent episode. And this time around, Jin understands why Taehyung gave up. If it was him, he would do the same. In fact, Jin wanted for Taehyung to break up with Jungkook much earlier as he couldn't stand how his best friend was treating him.

Jin looked at Jungkook and sighed.

"What am I gonna do with you, Jungkook?"  Jin mumbled as he sat and turned on the TV.

Jin browsed through the channels and stopped when he saw a news channel featuring Jungkook.