IV. RUN X THROUGH X THE PAIN

-=-=-=-

-=-=-=-

The applicants ran another eighty kilometers before they switched to a long staircase.

"Stairs?! You've got to be kidding me!" The shirtless man, Kamine recalled his name as Leorio, groaned as he pounded up the stairs.

The trio of children seemed to be unphased by the long run as friendly banter exuded from the three, well mostly Gon and Killua— who was slowly, but surely warming up to the boy. Kamine had yet to say a word to the duo, but she was getting more animated in their conversations, letting them know she was intently listening.

"So Killua," Gon chirped as he gracefully skipped up the stairs, not even breaking a sweat as they had already broken close to a five minute mile pace over eighty kilometers into the run. "Why do you want to be a hunter?" The boy asked curiously, facing the cat-eyed boy as Killua hummed in mild surprise.

"I never said I wanted to be a hunter." Killua replied simply as Gon furrowed his brows, clearly confused by Killua's words.

"I just heard the exam was fun." He smirked confidently before groaning, "It's boring though, this isn't even that hard..." Killua whined dropping his head as Gon turned to face the girl as she stared forward, unfocused.

"What about you Kamine?" Gon asked as the girl failed to respond, ignoring the boy.

"Kamine?" The boy hesitantly poked her shoulder as she snapped her head towards Gon in shock. Clearly she hadn't been listening.

Gon have a warm smile anyways, "I asked why you wanted to be a hunter." He restated for her comprehension as she stared at him wearily. Her visage seemed to be monochromatic as her cheeks turned deathly pale. She but her lip, struggling to respond to the boy as she fought against the intense feeling of nausea in her stomach.

"Are you tired?" Gon frowned, clearly upset by her pain. "I can carry you if you want." Gon offered kindly as she shook her head.

She used a handkerchief to wipe the beads of sweat off her face as she looked forward. She squinted as her eyes struggled to focus, the stomachache she had received upon her arousal from sleep has only worsened over time.

The girl rubbed her temples, her vision swaying into two as she tried not to gag, struggling to maintain the boys pace, but too prideful to slow down. She felt extremely cold yet her face seared in heat. An uncomfortable hot cold temperature left her trembled as her feet slammed again the pavement and it didn't take her long to realize she had most likely broken into a fever.

Unfocused in the conversation she winced at the appearance of light; they were nearing the end of the tunnel.

"Ready....set...GO!" Gon cheered before taking off a second before Killua was ready as the two broke into a sprint towards the exit. Kamine gasped as she forced her body to break into a sprint, ignoring the intense nausea that wracked her body from the movement.