VI. IN X YOUR X EYES

-=-=-=-

-=-=-=-

"Kamine! Gon!" A familiar voice called as as the duo finally made it back to the exam site. The pair turned around to face a small white-haired boy jogging towards them with a relieved smile.

"I though you'd never make it!" He joked giving Gon a fist bump before facing the female, "And why did you run off like that huh?! Do you know how much trouble you caused me?!" He hissed poking the girl on the forehead as she frowned.

"I'm sorry, youn-..." She trailed off as she was cut off, the others not catching what she was about to say.

"Killua! Stop! She saved me!" Gon defended standing in front of the girl protectively as Killua's eyes widened.

"You...what?" His eyes widened as he stared at the girl, flabbergasted. It was the first time she had ever done something for someone else that he hadn't directly ordered.

He wasn't sure how he felt about it.

He couldn't help the look of displeasure on his face as the girl winced, avoiding eye contact.

"I'm sorry Killua! It was my fault for running off!" Gon interjected, covering for the girl as Killua backed away in shock.

"N-No! I wasn't-... I mean..." He trailed off, staring at the boy awkwardly. He couldn't just outright explain to Gon that he never ordered Kamine to save Gon without first explaining how Kamine was his butler, which he didn't feel like doing. "I'm not upset. You did well Kamine, thank you for helping Gon." The girl perked up at that as Gon looked at the two in confusion.

"Anyways I'm starving when is the next phase going to start?! Do they give us lunch in between?" Gon questioned innocently, skipping off before Kamine handed him a granola bar from her bag. His eyes lit up at the treat, "Thams Kamenm!" He spoke through chewing as he scarfed down the bar, completely unaware of the next phase already including food.

Gon took the liberty to check up on Kurapika and Leorio during the downtime, leaving Kamine and Killua alone once again, "So that's why you ran off huh." Killua commented as Kamine looked away awkwardly, "I'm surprised you even knew he was in danger, you were asleep when he ran away." His voice was laced with suspicion as he eyed the girl.

"Why did you do it?" Killua asked as the girl sighed, only walking forward as the boy stared her down. She paused before turning to face the boy, a rare look of sadness gracing her features.

The boys eyes trailed down to the girls shoes that were awkwardly drawing circles in the sand to ease the girl's nerves, "When you talked to Gon, you looked..." She paused.

"You looked so happy." She said genuinely, a deep sadness coating her eyes as she gave a soft smile.

"If he died... I wonder if you would ever smile again like that." She explained as she looked at the boy who was happily chatting away with Leorio who had just woken up from being unconscious.