IX. THEY X ARE X MONSTERS

-=-=-=-

-=-=-=-

After Netero explained the rules of his game, Killua was eager to begin. His feet shifted slightly before he began using one of the assassination techniques he had learned, the rhythm echo. Kamine watched the boy who masterfully executed the advanced technique with mild interest. Granted, she had already seen him use it before, it was one of his trademark skills.

"Ouuu! There's so many of him!" Gon commented honestly as he sat beside the girl causing her to glance over at him.

The boy's hazelnut eyes glistened in innocent excitement as the girl simply watched. Gon truly was such a gem, especially compared to Killua whose innocence had been stolen from him due to the circumstances of his childhood. He'd be such a good friend to Killua. Despite that, Kamine couldn't help the small tinge of jealousy within her chest as she frowned at the boy's eager smile.

Killua, despite his techniques, had been unable to retrieve the ball, jumping around the man as Netero easily dodged the boy's advances. Growing frustrated, he slid to disable the man with a powerful kick, Kamine winced as she realized the growing force in Netero's leg— Killua wasn't going to be able to shatter it.

With no time to react, she couldn't stop Killua from kicking the man, gasping as the boy's cried in pain jumping around as his calf began to turn black and blue as a large bruise began to form. Kamine frowned as she approached the boy.

"Killua tag me!" Gon urged as Killua limped over with Kamine's help. Placing Killua against the wall, she reached into her bag to pull out an ice pack that she broke and wrapped in a towel before applying it to the boy's leg.

"Thanks Kamine." Killua mumbled, looking up at the girl as the cold began to instantly soothe his pain. Gon had begun to stretch out his muscles as Netero waited patiently for the boy. He frowned, there was no way Gon was going to stand a chance at getting that ball from the old man, yet he wasn't in a position to tell him that.

Suddenly his leg ached as he hissed, pressing the ice pack against it again as it begun to slip. Kamine gently moved his hands as she fixed the ice pack, wrapping it against his calf as he watched her diligently work. He frowned; he was glad Kamine's abilities were making his leg feel better, but he couldn't help the frustration he felt watching her do so.

She was the perfect butler. Even though the boy could notice her subtle winces from moving her shoulder at awkward angles, she still diligently wrapped his leg without commenting on it.

Killua watched the female as he was brutally reminded of the two's situation. He'd like to believe that Kamine genuinely cared about him and wanted to make him feel better but he couldn't help the anxiety that loomed over his thoughts.

Did Kamine care for him? Or did she just care because she's his butler?

What if Kamine wasn't his butler? Would she still stay by his side?