01: High School Arc Begins

He Is The Summer To My Winter Heart

"Curse you, Hinata," Kageyama muttered in discontent, "You fucking dimwit." He gritted his teeth and tightened his grip around the phone while staring at the screen that displayed a text from Hinata: "Sorry, I can't make it. Something came up."
He shoved his phone back into his pocket without replying to the message and grumpily sat there on the couch.

The situation was that Oikawa had thrown a reunion party to which Kageyama only reluctantly agreed to attend as Hinata promised to show up as well. But now, seems like a certain redhead couldn't keep his promise and Kageyama, who's been anxiously anticipating for him, was absolutely dispirited. He sighed as he rose to his feet before heading towards the washroom.

He shut the door behind him and leaned his back against it. I should just leave. Decided Kageyama - or so he thought. He stared blankly into space, mentally preparing himself to approach Oikawa.

The music was loud but muffled. He didn't want to interact with anyone, he didn't want to attend in the first place; he shouldn't have relied on Hinata. That runt is good for nothing. He cussed mentally.

He removed his phone from his pocket and opened Hinata's chat. "You suck," he typed down with a fit of raging anger building up inside him. He shoved it back into his pocket before walking out of the washroom and proceeding toward Oikawa.

"Oikawa-san... Uhm, I'll be-"
"Oh! There you are!" Oikawa cut him off, "Good timing, we were just about to play spin the bottle." Kageyama seemed troubled by that sentence from the latter. He's never played that game before; had quite avoided it each time its name was brought up. Kiss? Someone the bottle decides for you? Nah, he'd rather praise Hinata.

"No, I'm actually-"
"Oh, come on! Don't be a coward," Oikawa insisted. "Erm... Err... Fine," Kageyama agreed unwillingly - he resented appearing like a coward, especially in front of Oikawa. You're gonna pay for this, Hinata. Kageyama continued cussing Hinata inwardly. Fuckin' shithead.

They sat on the dining table and Kindaichi spun the bottle. "Whoa," he uttered, "It's Kunimi and I." Kunimi seemed impassive of the situation but he definitely was having a little dancey-dance in his mind. "Tsk. Just get it over with," he groaned. They kissed; it was a quick and sloppy one.

How can they kiss so casually? Thought Kageyama while he watched the two who weren't even dating; in fact, they were just best friends.

Once the squealing and hooting stopped, Matsukawa spun the bottle this time and it landed on Kageyama who seemed uninterested until now. He looked at the person the other side of the bottle was pointing at. It was Atsumu.

"So?" Atsumu smirked, eyes filled with mischief.

Fuck. Kageyama yelled the word internally as he slowly lowered his head. He remained frozen in his place and didn't dare look into the latter's eyes - this was the last situation he'd ever wish to be in. Just what did I get myself into? He thought. Agitated, he began fidgeting with his fingers under the table as he felt Atsumu's prickly gaze on him.

Simultaneously, the others seemed to be enjoying Kageyama's awkwardness... a bit too much. "What are you guys waiting for?" Hanamaki teased.

"Uhhh... I would... I would rather not," Kageyama stuttered. "Why not?" Atsumu asked with a pout as if he already didn't know Kageyama's nature. "Just because," Kageyama stated.
"Nah. There must be a reason why you don't wanna," Atsumu suspected, "By any chance, is it because... yer dating someone?"

Kageyama went still at that last sentence from the latter. He stared at Atsumu, dumbstruck.

"How could he?" Oikawa scoffed, "He doesn't even have a best friend."
"For real? I thought that shrimpy was his best friend?" Kunimi shot a confused look. "I don't know. Is he? Tobio?" Oikawa questioned.