20.

Your Heart Knows The Truth

THE FOLLOWING DAY

"What's the matter?" Souta asked when he noticed the uneasiness in Kenji's expression. The latter did not respond right away; he was unsure whether he should answer that question or not. "You can tell me," Souta reassured since Kenji seemed hesitant to speak up. The two were spending their free time in the library, studying.

"Uhm. Do you—erm—think breaking up would be a good idea?" Kenji voiced his thoughts, his fixed gaze not averting from the book that he is reading. "Pardon?" said Souta though he perfectly heard him loud and clear. "I think I wanna break up with Shoyo," Kenji clarified.
Souta didn't reply; he was at a loss for words and so his expression appeared to be perplexed. Conversely, he saw this coming. He sighed.

"Yeah. I think you guys should break up," stated Souta after a moment of silence, "It's annoying, hearing you complain about that guy all the time. If you don't like him... then just break up. It's as simple as that."

"It's not about like or dislikes," Kenji replied instantly, "It's just... he... doesn't understand me anymore."
"Understand what? Your possessive nature?" Souta rejoined, "Kenji, I think he understood that all too well. And that's exactly why he's been distant."

Kenji fell silent after that last sentence from the latter. After all, Souta was right.
"I think... you don't understand Hinata either," Souta expressed his opinion, "All the other reason for you to break up with him."
"True that. I don't get that guy," Kenji agreed in a feeble tone, "Now that you've said it, I'm considering it. I'm gonna break up with him. Thanks, Souta."
The latter nodded in response, maintaining a monotonous expression.

But then, a thought struck Souta. This is a perfect time, he thought.
"You know, I've been wanting to say this for a while now," he spoke out, "But since you were already dating, I couldn't."

"What is it?" Kenji asked, his eyes overflowing with eagerness. Souta took a deep breath softly, gathering up the courage and calming his racing heart down.

"I like you, always did," Souta confessed.

───── ─────

"Finally," Kageyama breathed out the word before sighing wearily as he plopped on the couch, lolling his head back. He sure was exhausted. Avoiding Hinata's eyes, maintaining his cool, and keeping himself from touching Hinata in any way sure was exhausting.

Ever since last night, ever since the thoughts of being Hinata's boyfriend crossed his mind, he's been pretty edgy. He had also jumped to the conclusion that Hinata is sort of cute. Sort of.
I mean... he does look adorable when he smiles, or speaks about something he loves, or even when during practice he spikes Kageyama's toss. Yep, he definitely was cute. But was Kageyama gonna admit it? No.

Kageyama gently brushed his fingers through his hair, pacifying his preoccupied mind. He then stared at the ceiling blankly, unable to figure out why did he suddenly develop a liking towards Hinata. He doesn't know. He doesn't know a lot of things. Will Hinata ever like him back? Is it unrequited love? Was he gonna become lovelorn now? He doesn't know.

But Hinata seems so happy every time he's with Kageyama. Of course, he appears to be happy around everyone but there was a difference. The happiness he felt when he was around Kageyama was different than usual. Even Kageyama noticed it, the way Hinata is more relaxed when he's around him. Plus, he even said to Kageyama's face the other day that he felt happier and more comfortable spending time with him.

Now that he thinks of it, Hinata was awfully touchy and clingy today. He even hugged Kageyama briefly as a form of greeting; Kageyama didn't hug back, he was too ill at ease. And during recess, Hinata sat exceptionally close to Kageyama, he even rested his head on the taller's shoulder. Heaven knows how Kageyama succeeded in remaining composed after all that. It was sheer luck and coincidence that they didn't encounter Kenji or Souta.

Kageyama glanced at the mini calendar on the coffee table and was reminded by it that he had to go grocery shopping that day. But then he noticed something rather unusual. Why was the next day marked on the calendar again? He looked closely at the date: June 21... and that's when it hit him, it was Hinata's birthday tomorrow.

It wasn't a big deal, really, but he had promised to go over to Hinata's place and taste his handmade food. Oh, and shit, he didn't plan for a birthday gift. "Tsk. Fuckin' hell," he cusses under his breath before picking himself up and heading towards the closet to get changed. He decided that he'll buy a present for Hinata on the way back from the grocery store.

───── ─────

"Yogurt, milk, rice, curry..." Kageyama faintly recited the list of items on the paper so as to double-check. "Alright, done," he mumbled before crumpling the paper and shoving it back into his pocket. As he advanced toward the checkout counter, his eyes landed on a familiar face. "Kunimi?" He calls out not-so-loudly almost immediately.

The figure diverted his attention towards the direction the voice came from. "Kageyama?" He responds as he recognizes him. "Hey," Kageyama greeted, shortening the distance between him and the latter, "What're you doing in Tokyo?"
"Just furthering my studies here," Kunimi replied, "I'm assuming it's the same for you?"
Kageyama nodded in response.

"So, where are you staying here?" Kunimi questioned as they queued up for checkout. "Nearby. It's a fifteen-minute walk," Kageyama answered. The two then fell silent after that, there wasn't really much to converse about, it's not like they ever got along that well to begin with.

But then, Kageyama saw this as the perfect opportunity to inquire about a question he's been curious about for a while now. "Kunimi," he spoke up monotonously, "How were you able to kiss Kindaichi so easily?" Kunimi seemed beyond stupefied by the sudden mortifying question. This guy seriously can tell anything with a straight face, he thought.

"Aren't you guys best friends? Isn't it awkward?" Kageyama was cut off by Kunimi saying, "Shush! We'll talk about this in private." And so, once they were done paying, they continued the conversation outside the store. "I'm surprised you're eager to know about such stuff," Kunimi commented. "Just learning new things," Kageyama replied with a shrug and Kunimi sighed in defeat.

"Yes, it is awkward to kiss your best friend on the fuckin' lips, that too in front of a crowd," he explained, "But not when the two of you madly, hopelessly like each other."
Kageyama stared blankly, it took him a moment to process it all, and once he did, he asked, "So you're telling me... you liked Kindaichi?"

"Correct."
"Since when?"
"During our second year."
"So are you guys dating now?"
"Yeah."
"What?!"

"Jeez, since when do you speak so much?" Kunimi groaned as they walked. "Forgive me, I can't fight my curiosity," Kageyama stated, "When did you start dating?"
"Like... after the kiss," Kunimi replied. "Damn... I see," Kageyama mumbled. "Alright, see ya," Kunimi bid his goodbye as they reached the point where they had to part ways. Kageyama nodded and then, he was left alone.

So liking your best friends is normal, huh? He thought.