21.

Healing Doesn't Mean Forgetting

THE FOLLOWING DAY

"Tobio!" Hinata called out while jogging towards the taller when he spotted Kageyama entering the campus. "Morning," mumbled Kageyama in response, "You're early today."
"Yeah! I was waiting for you," Hinata said with a smile.

Kageyama was a person to arrive at 9 in the morning even though class started at 11. In contrast, Hinata always arrived thirty minutes before their first class of the day began.

"Why? You didn't have to," Kageyama replied as he began walking towards the entryway alongside the redhead. Hinata reacted to that last sentence with a titter.

"I wanted to ask something,"
"What is it?"
"Why don't you open my messages?"

Kageyama didn't reply. There wasn't a proper explanation to that question, really. "Hm? Are you ignoring me?" Hinata continued questioning, "Did I do something?"
"That's not it. You know damn well I usually don't open them," Kageyama responded, "What's so strange this time?"

"Yeah... guess you're right," Hinata softly spoke with a titter, "I must be overthinking." How could he tell him that nowadays he craved his attention? "Anyway, you coming over today, right?" Hinata changed the subject. "Yeah," Kageyama answered briefly. Hinata was a bit - only a bit - disheartened that Kageyama hadn't wished him on his birthday - today.

"Cool. What time are you free?"
"Around 5 pm."

Hinata nodded and the two then continued walking in silence for a while. "I'll be going to the gym right now," Kageyama spoke out, suddenly halting in his tracks causing Hinata to walk ahead slightly - he stood at a short distance from the taller.

"Oh," Hinata replied while turning around to face the latter, "I skipped breakfast so I'll be heading to the cafeteria now."
"Alright, see ya later then," Kageyama bid his goodbye; Hinata waved in response with a wistful smile before turning on his heels to walk away but then, simultaneously, bumping on a tall figure - his face hitting the other person's rigid chest.

Kageyama hadn't left when the incident took place. He stood there and watched with a stern expression. Hinata was unaware of that.

"Ow!" He whined while rubbing his forehead, "Sorry-Wha-Kenji?!" Hinata's eyes widened when he realized the person he had bumped into was none other than the person he's been trying his best to avoid all this time. They haven't interacted at all for a while now.

"Shoyo," Kenji spoke under his breath. "Erm-Hey...It's been a while," Hinata stuttered. Kenji didn't utter a word; he just stood there with a soulless look in his eyes and an upset expression across his face. "Is there something you..." Hinata was cut off by the sudden movement of Kenji hugging him - tight and warm.

Kageyama creased his eyebrows further at the view of that. Gritting his teeth as he held himself back from taking any action; he continued watching from a distance.

"Kenji," Hinata mumbled, not hugging back, "What's the deal?"
Kenji still didn't speak, instead, he parted from the hug, and in the blink of an eye, he locked his lips with Hinata's resulting in a soft peck.

"Tsk," Kageyama clicked his tongue before flouncing away since he couldn't stand there and continue growing jealous. He couldn't stand it; he couldn't stand the sight at all. Fuck was he provoked with envious feelings. The punching bag will be of great use today. He thought.