06: University Arc Begins

You Don't Get Me Neither Will I Get You

Hinata was running down the hallway, appearing to be in a rush. "Hey! Have you seen Kageyama anywhere?" He halted in his tracks and asked when he spotted one of Kageyama's classmates strolling in the hallway with what looked like a chemistry textbook enclasped in his arms. "Uh... I saw him head towards the library earlier... I think," the guy spoke timidly. "Alright, thanks!" Hinata smiled wide before he resumed running.

"Kageyama!" Hinata called out his name when he reached the library just to be greeted by people shushing him: "Shhh!"
"Oops! Sorry," Hinata apologized in a hushed voice.
Kageyama sure was alarmed by his voice but he didn't respond as he was embarrassed by Hinata's stupidity. Even a kid knows not to make noise in the library. He facepalmed lightly.

"Ah! There you are!" Hinata exclaimed not-so-loudly - Kageyama was not startled. "Hey! Why are you ignoring me?!" Hinata whined as he occupied an empty seat next to Kageyama. "I'm busy right now," Kageyama asserted monotonously. "You're never too busy for me! Now listen," Hinata argued. "Tsk. What do you want?" Kageyama questioned with annoyance in his tone.

"I've got a request to make," Hinata claimed. "Get to the point, dumbass," Kageyama commanded; his eyes still fixed on the pages of the book that he was reading. "You're gonna meet my boyfriend today," Hinata stated. "That sounded more like an order than a request," Kageyama replied, still not making any eye contact with the latter. "Please say yes," Hinata added.

"No."
"Kageyama! Please!"
"I don't want to,"
"But he wants to!"
"Why? I'm not his boyfriend, you are!"
"But he's a fan of your volleyball skills!"

"Shhh!"

Their bickering was interrupted. "You fuckin' dumbass," Kageyama muttered through gritted teeth, overcame by mortification. "So? Are you going to meet him or..." Hinata conditioned with a mischievous expression plastered across his face, "Do you want me to scream on top of my lungs right now?"
"Do that and watch how I'll strangle you to death," Kageyama threatened him in a hushed voice; finally averting his resentful eyes from the book, shooting him daggers but Hinata remained unaffected.

"So that means you're coming!" Hinata smiled cheekily. "Tsk. Fine," Kageyama groaned, finally giving up. "Yay! Thank you!" Hinata cheered triumphantly as he stood up, "You're the best!" He made a finger gun and pointed at him with a wink before leaving him alone.

Kageyama drifted his attention back to the book, it was a romance novel. Yes, the night Hinata had related to him about his relationship with Kenji, was the night he had decided to begin reading romance novels and watch asian romance dramas - that was the spontaneous idea.

While resting his chin on the palm of his hand, he thought: How annoying. But hey, maybe it's not that bad; he finally will get to see for himself what's so special in that person that makes Hinata beam with so much joy.

───── ─────

"So? Are you ready?" Hinata asked as he walked ahead. "Hm," Kageyama hummed in response as he followed Hinata down the hallway. "And... We're here!" Hinata stopped in front of a door. "A lecture hall?" Kageyama questioned as he read what the board proclaimed on the door, "Hey. Don't tell me you're disturbing him in the middle of a lecture."
"No, that's not it!" Hinata denied, "He said he'll be doing his homework here in case I'm looking for him."

Kageyama sighed and then nodded. Hinata knocked on the door before entering. No professor was present as regular working hours had ended. Kenji shifted his attention from his notes to the door where two familiar figures stood. "Ah! Shoyo," Kenji called out catching Hinata's eyes.

"Hey! Sorry for disturbing you," Hinata apologized as he walked towards where his lover was seated followed by Kageyama. "Don't worry about that," Kenji smiled. That's when he noticed Kageyama who seemed really uninterested. Ah. Hinata did tell me he normally looks like that. He thought. 'He's not a bad guy, he only looks scary! He's actually... really nice!' He recalled Hinata's words.

"You must be Kageyama," Kenji greeted as he stood up, "It's good to meet you."
"Likewise," Kageyama replied monotonously. "Let's go outside and have a proper conversation," Kenji suggested, realizing it's not so good to disturb the other busy students present in the room. "Alright," Hinata agreed and after that, they walked out of the room.

"I can't believe I'm talking to you face to face!" Kenji exclaimed once they were outside the lecture hall. "I really admire your volleyball skills!"
Kageyama seemed unamused by the compliments; unlike Hinata who'd be enraptured - even if it was a teeny-weeny compliment on his volleyball skills.

And oh god, if it was from Kageyama then he might as well pass away from all the happiness and shock.

"Do you play volleyball?" Kageyama asked. "I initially didn't. I started once I saw Shoyo and you play," Kenji clarified.
"Which position in volleyball is your favorite?" Kageyama queried. "It has to be the setter!" Kenji answered.
"Why is that?" Kageyama further interrogated; he honestly thought Kenji was trying to impress him.
"Well... Maybe because each time Shoyo jumps to hit your tosses, it's an admirable sight to watch!" Kenji elaborated to which Kageyama hummed in response.

After that, Kageyama let his intrusive thoughts win. He's been dying to get this one question of his answered, this was the perfect opportunity to satisfy his curiosity. "What do you like about Hinata?" He asked boldly. The rest two appeared to be taken aback by the question; it was so unlikely for Kageyama to ask that.

"Hey! Enough already!" Hinata interrupted, "What're you? My father?"
"I asked him. So let him answer," Kageyama retorted.
"Uhhh," Kenji tittered nervously, "If I start listing all the reasons, then it won't end anytime soon."
"How about I change the question," Kageyama spoke, "What're the top 2 reasons you like Hinata?"

Hinata was now engrossed to know himself, and so he looked at Kenji eagerly; his boyfriend seemed to be contemplating hard.
"Let's see," Kenji uttered, "He's really cute, plus his smile makes my day."
Hinata, after hearing what his lover said, covered his flushed face with his palms in embarrassment.

Why the fuck does it feel like I'm asking Kageyama's permission for Hinata's hand in marriage? Kenji wondered as Kageyama was certainly making him feel intimidated.

"I see," Kageyama mumbled. "Okay! That's it!" Hinata interfered once again, "Kageyama, let's go do our homework!" He grabbed Kageyama's wrist and dragged him along with him. "Later, Kenji!" He shouted before he disappeared from Kenji's sight with Kageyama.

───── ─────

"So?" Hinata asked while they were doing their homework in the library, "What do you think of Kenji?"
Kageyama paused writing and thought for a brief moment.

"He's mid," he remarked nonchalantly.

"Hey! What do you mean?!" Hinata whined. "I said what I said," Kageyama asserted. "Of course," Hinata grumbled, "The ideal type of a volleyball idiot would be yet another volleyball idiot."
Kageyama ignored him and continued writing his notes. Hinata, yet again, saw this as the perfect and golden opportunity to taunt him, "Too bad I'm taken."

Kageyama sniggered. "Again, my standards aren't that low," he riposted causing Hinata to pout.
"I just gave you my honest opinion on him," Kageyama reasoned, "What're you so pressed about?"
"Tsk. I don't get you," Hinata elucidated, "What else do you want in him?"

Kageyama sighed. He literally only cares about your looks. He thought and wished he could say that out loud to Hinata. He's been reading a lot of romance novels lately, which should explain why his definition of love and his standards for a significant other had changed so drastically.

"You don't get me neither will I get you," He stated.