28.

You Return Like Autumn
And I Fall Every Time

"Thank you," said the pizza-delivery guy with a bow before leaving. Kageyama shut the door behind him before heading towards the living room, placing the box on the coffee table. Before he could sit, there was a knock at the door. Kageyama turned his head towards the entrance, a look of perplexity on his face while he wondered, did the guy forget something?

Did I pay the wrong amount? Wondering still, he made his way towards the entrance. He answered the door, being instantly greeted by a small figure in a yellow raincoat and rubber boots standing with his head drooping. The weather's been very wet and gloomy lately, it's the end of June after all.

After a moment or so, when Kageyama finally recognized the familiar figure, he widened his eyes in utter shock.
"Sho—" his voice failed him.
He could literally feel his heart pounding against his chest right now.
Him? At this time? Does he finally remem

"What, Kageyama-kun?" Hinata spoke up, looking at the taller with a sarcastically confused expression, "Why do you have to act so surprised after inviting me over yourself?"

Right... The pizza... Thought Kageyama. He wasn't expecting Hinata to show up though, he believed it was yet another day of him being left on seen by the redhead. But who knew something so mere as pizza would hold so much of power.

"Come in," Kageyama mumbled, he then turned on his heel and strolled back to the living room.  Meanwhile, the redhead got busy removing his raincoat. "Sit," Kageyama commanded softly once Hinata made it to the same room as him. But the latter didn't obey, instead, he stared at Kageyama who had bended at the coffee table to pour Hinata a glass of water.

The second Kageyama turned his head to look at Hinata out of confusion and curiosity, he was engulfed by a sudden warm hug from the shorter.

"Wha- Shoyo-... wait..." He struggled to speak as Hinata's arms around his neck tightened. He let go of the water jug carefully from his hand and wrapped his arm around Hinata's torso gently. He managed to stand upright and then, finally, hugged Hinata back equally as tight. "Alright, alright, I get it," he spoke in a muffled voice as he buried his face in Hinata's shoulder, "I forgive you."

That's right, Hinata was trying to apologize.

"I'm sorry," Hinata uttered softly, "I promise I won't run away anymore."
"Oh yeah? How can I trust you?" Kageyama teased, but deep inside... he was somewhat serious about that question.
Hinata's arms around the taller loosened and he parted from the hug, his hands rested on Kageyama's chest while the taller's arms continued encircling the redhead's waist.

There was a pause. A long pause. Hinata's face was immersed in seriousness — he creased his eyebrows and frowned as though he was contemplating; choosing his words wisely before uttering: "Because... because there will no longer be any reason left to do so," spoke Hinata gently, avoiding eye contact.

"How?" There was a drastic change in Kageyama's tone from nonchalant to deep and stern.

Hinata looked up at him with brown eyes gleaming with adoration, and a soft smile of deep affection plastered across his face. "Tobio... I..." Hinata trailed off. Kageyama's gaze was fixated on the shorter, curious to know what's next, and so he asked: "You?"

I love you, he wanted to say, oh god he wanted to say it so desperately — so desperately that it ached him when he had to refrain himself from saying so because there were other topics of vital importance that had to be discussed before he got to the good (nerve-racking) part: confessing.

"Tobio, I don't know what exactly happened that night," Hinata explained, "But I do have faint memories and..." Hinata paused to take a deep breath while the taller let him take his time and listened carefully without uttering a word.
"And I'm sorry if I had done anything selfish."

Kageyama tilted his head slightly, throwing Hinata a look of confusion before questioning, "Selfish? How so?"
"Erm— you know... like... take advantage of you or something like that," Hinata answered awkwardly.

To Hinata's surprise, Kageyama unexpectedly bursted out laughing causing the latter to gawk at him.
What a rare sight to behold. Shoyo thought as he had never heard this guy laugh so openly before — the most he'd do was smirk at him in the same sly, smug, and cocky manner every time.
He's, however, proud of himself for succeeding at getting intimate with Kageyama — so intimate that Kageyama finds it comfortable enough around Hinata to open up and show sides of him no one's ever seen.

It has a good right to it. Concluded Hinata mentally, finding it fascinating that he's the chosen one and only who's seen these hidden sides of Kageyama. Tsk... how greedy. I wanna see more. Thought Hinata.

"Oi! For how long do you plan on keeping that up?" Hinata glared with a pout when he realized Kageyama's been continuing for a while now. "Sorry, sorry," apologized Kageyama as his laughter veered into chuckles before gradually coming to an end.
"What's so funny?" Hinata pulled away from the hug so as to fold his arms.
"Dumbass. I believed you'd think that I took advantage of your drunk self," Kageyama clarified, "Not the other way round."

"Oh. Well..." Hinata stammered, "You... you wouldn't do that to me... to anyone, I mean."
"Are you implying that you would do that?" Kageyama teased, a cocky smirk forming on his face.
"No! I mean... if it's you," Hinata replied, "I don't know if my drunk self would be able to... hold back."

Kageyama exhaled a smile once he noticed the hues of red and pink taking over Hinata's face. "You're right... you weren't able to," he spoke while getting closer to the latter.
Hinata's eyes widened at the statement; in utter shock he exclaimed: "WHAT?! That means I did take advan—"

"Shh." Kageyama placed his forefinger atop Hinata's lips, silencing him. He slowly wrapped his other arm around the latter's torso and pulled him gently; closing the gap between them. "It was consensual," Kageyama stated before leaning in more slowly than ever, causing Hinata to widen his eyes slightly in surprise.

Too close. Hinata thought. Way too close.

When Kageyama was hardly inches away and Hinata was beginning to gradually shut his eyes, the redhead realized.

We're about to kiss!

"Wait!" Hinata exclaimed and pushed Kageyama, startling the latter. "Ow..." Kageyama winced, clutching the center of his chest — the part Hinata had allegedly exerted his force on. "Shit!" Hinata cried out and rushed to Kageyama's side, placing one of his hands on the latter's shoulder and the other on top of Kageyama's hand which continued clutching his chest. "Are you alright?" Hinata asked, although doubting that a frail push from him would be able to hurt such a big guy.

"Oh shut up!" Kageyama snapped, yanking Hinata's hand away, "What was that for anyway, huh?"
"I'm sorry! I didn't mean to-"
"Shouldn't you remember everything?" Kageyama cut him off, "You were just a bit tipsy, weren't you?"
"I don't know! I guess I had one too many!"
"Tsk... fuckin' airhead," Kageyama muttered, clearly disappointed that Hinata had ruined the moment. Yes, he was indeed expecting to kiss him breathless. A kiss that both of them will remember this time.
"Hey! I can hear you!"