02.

Say, Am I Your Favorite Person?

"Seriously? Shoyo, that's so dumb!" Natsu chortled. "Ugh! Just help me out Natsu!" Hinata pleaded with his face tinted pink in embarrassment. "Mom! Shoyo doesn't have any friends!" Natsu teased while she laughed non-stop. "Hey! That's not the case!" Hinata snapped.

After the 'best friends' conversation with Kageyama, they concluded that they didn't know what 'best friends' exactly meant. Hinata decided he'd ask Natsu - although she was younger than him, he believed she had more knowledge on this topic as she was always boasting about her best friends in school.

But now, Hinata ended up getting mocked by his younger sister. "Natsu, please! I'll buy you *Gari Gari Kun!" Hinata bribed. "Alright, alright," Natsu was convinced. Hinata let out a sigh of relief. "It's pretty simple," said Natsu loftily as though she was a professor, "Your best friend is your favorite person!"

(* 'Gari Gari Kun' is a very famous flavored ice popsicle in Japan. This product is made from molded crushed ice with a wooden stick.)

"Uh... that's all?" Hinata seemed unamused. "Well, yeah!" Natsu replied. "Okay... what do best friends do?" Hinata changed the question. "That'll cost you two Gari Gari Kun!" Natsu smirked. "Why you!" Hinata was annoyed but he didn't have a choice. "Fine!" He agreed at last.

"You tell your best friend about anything and everything! Even your secrets!" Natsu explained, "You share food and stuff, and you talk about your favorite shows together." Hinata was engaged in knowing more and more even though the definition of 'best friends and what they do' was coming from a child's point of view.

"Say more!" Hinata demanded. "Uh... you often hang out with them, and uh... you play together," she elaborated. "And I can't think of anything else," she added. "I see," Hinata responded, "Thanks, you can leave now."
"Huh?! You said you'll play with me after I answer!" Natsu argued. "But you're already getting Gari Gari Kun from me," Hinata reasoned, "Two, at that!"
"That's unfair, Shoyo!" Natsu whined. "Then forget about the Gari Gari Kun," Hinata smirked. "Ugh! Fine, I'm never playing with you," Natsu declared before storming out of his room.

Hinata grabbed his phone and opened Kageyama's chat, he immediately texted him: I spoke to Natsu about it.
It took a while but not so long for Kageyama to text back.

Kageyama: what did she say?
Hinata: She said they tell each other about everything ┐( ̄~ ̄)┌
Kageyama: well, we do talk to each other
Hinata: ONLY I DO! YOU'RE INTROVERTED! ૮₍⇀‸↼‶₎ა
Kageyama: i'm not
Hinata: Sure -.-
Hinata: She also said, best friends hang out often! ˶ᵔ ᵕ ᵔ˶
Kageyama: we do meet every day
Hinata: That's because we need to go to school anyway
Hinata: She probably meant apart from school! ヾ(  ̄O ̄)ツ
Kageyama: ok, what else?
Hinata: They share food and stuff >:)
Kageyama: i wouldn't share my precious food with you
Hinata: RUDE! ૮ ˃𓈒꒧ ˂ ა
Hinata: Moving on, they play together, the way we play volleyball! (๑˃ᴗ˂)ﻭ
Kageyama: i see, anything else?
Hinata: uh... your best friend is apparently your favorite person ( ̄ω ̄;)

Kageyama didn't reply to that text.

Hinata: OIII ARE YOU THERE?! >:(
Hinata: DONT IGNORE MEEEEE
Hinata: Oh my fucking god, this is why we can't be best friends, hmph! ૮₍⇀‸↼‶₎ა
Kageyama: is that so?
Hinata: Now I know which bait to use to get you to reply to me •̀.̫ •́✧
Kageyama: we'll talk tomorrow, bye
Hinata: Fine ( ̄^ ̄)

───── ─────

THE FOLLOWING DAY

"You're basically trying to say," Kageyama said, "That we're not best friends?" Hinata kept denying it each time Kageyama tried to convince him that they do act the way Natsu described best friends. "No! That's not it!" Hinata denied yet again. "Just make up your mind, damn it!" Kageyama snapped. "Look, I'm just trying to say," Hinata elaborated, "That if we consider ourselves as best friends, then we should act more like it!"

Kageyama sighed exasperatedly. "What the fuck do you want me to do?"
"You're not alone in this, alright?" Hinata replied, "I gotta put in efforts from my side as well!"
"Alright, let's give it our best," Kageyama announced, "I'm not gonna lose to you." He smirked competitively. "As if I would," Hinata retorted.

And now, suddenly this was a competition.

It was now recess and the two competitive boys were on their way to have lunch together. Kageyama stopped by a vending machine while Hinata waited for him. "Hey, buy me something as well," Hinata demanded. "Why would I do that?" Kageyama responded as he stabbed the silver seal on the tetra pack of milk with its straw. "We're best friends, aren't we?" Hinata taunted with a playful smirk.

"Suddenly we aren't anymore," Kageyama rejected his demand as he sipped on his milk. "Hey! At least share your food!" Hinata whined. "You didn't share yours, why should I?" Kageyama reasoned teasingly.
"You didn't ask, that's why!"
"Well, you should know,"
"I don't possess telepathic abilities!"

That's when Hinata's phone buzzed. He checked the notification and his eyes seemed to lit up. "What is it?" Kageyama questioned, noticing the excitement in the redhead's expression. "Ah! Kageyama, I'll catch up with you later!" Hinata didn't exactly answer the latter's question. "Hey! Where are you off to?" Kageyama queried but Hinata was too much in a hurry to be answering anything, he shouted a "Later!" Before sprinting off to the opposite direction of the hallway.

"Weirdo," Kageyama commented under his breath before continuing on with his day. Hinata didn't return back to him during recess that time. He's been disappearing this way quite often nowadays, even Kageyama observed. What the hell is that dumbass up to now? He thought.

───── ─────

Later that day, it was time that they return home. Kageyama and Hinata were walking together as usual, discussing about volleyball - everything seemed normal until Hinata decided to change the subject and bring up something rather unexpected and absolutely surprising to Kageyama.

"Kageyama? Do you know what it means to have a lover?"