24.

There's No Way Back From Loving You

Shit. Hinata thought while he struggled to snatch it back. My head hurts. He was only getting used to drinking; consequently, he could tolerate only a certain amount of alcohol. If it crossed the line even by a milliliter, it was enough to cause Hinata discomfort.

While they were bickering, Hinata had unintentionally climbed onto Kageyama's lap, his legs on either side of Kageyama's crotch. He was trying to reach for the packet that the taller held up high, his arm upstretched. Kageyama, instinctively wrapped his other arm around Hinata's waist so the redhead, who was standing on his knees, wouldn't fall off.

Jeez. Kageyama wondered. He's always so stubborn.

"Curse you, shittyama," Hinata mumbled with a pouty scowl before settling completely on Kageyama's lap, his frail hands crossed. "Diabetes," Kageyama spoke up, "You'll get diabetes."
"Dia- what? I don't care! It's my birthday, why do you have to be so mean?" Hinata grumbled mindlessly while looking away in temper, the pout not disappearing from his face.

Kageyama sighed in defeat, "You sure know how to get your way now don't you?" He lowered his arm, handing the packet to the latter. "Now I don't want it anymore," Hinata refused, slightly tossing the packet away on the couch which luckily didn't spill the candies. "Oi. You shouldn't do that to food," Kageyama growled, a bit annoyed by the drunkard's ungrateful behavior. Shoyo didn't respond, he quietly sat there with a pout, his head drooped - he was exhausted.

Kageyama stared - he stared tediously at the redhead who seemed to be swaying to and fro ever so slightly. Is he dozing off? Kageyama pondered. His arm which had tightly secured Hinata in his place, loosened slowly. He then gently stroked Hinata's back and watched how he completely sank into his embrace. All this just to provide Hinata comfort.

Hinata, finally losing control over his body, dropped forward and landed his head on Kageyama's chest. He exhaled heavily before slightly nuzzling and squirming in the taller's embrace, somewhat like a bird getting comfortable in its newly built nest.
So he is sleepy. Kageyama concluded inwardly.

He continued caressing the shorter's back, more gently than ever. He too adjusted his position so as to get comfortable on the couch while being painstakingly careful not to disturb Hinata too much. He was sort of enjoying the moment. It wasn't that bad after all. Hinata's steady breathing, his warmth, his weight, and everything else about him was not all that bad - in fact, it wasn't bad at all.

When did he start growing a liking towards this guy? Maybe he's always liked him and was only recognizing his feelings for him now? Otherwise there was no way he'd go to such extent as to comforting and pampering someone be it his best friend. There was no way he'd begin considering himself as 'someone better' for Hinata- a person he's always loved taunting, bickering and playing volleyball with. Wasn't their relationship limited to just teammates and permanent rivals? How'd it end up like this?

Just then... Kageyama realized the position they were in. It was dangerous. Just what were they doing? All cuddled up on the couch like that? Do best friends, as Hinata would describe it, behave this way? Why did Hinata find it so normal to behave as though he was his lover despite knowing exactly what he was doing.

Kageyama was bugged by a lot of thoughts now.

The comfortable tranquility of the moment unfortunately couldn't last long - it was soon captured by uncertainty, questions and doubts. Only one such possible answer existed that could banish all his curiosity: maybe, just maybe, Hinata liked me back.