08.

And To See You Smile Is All I Want

"Ugh! I can't decide what to wear!" Hinata whined as he threw his clothes one after the other on his bed from his closet. It was just a normal outing with Kageyama but Hinata appeared to be a bit too concerned about how he looked for no apparent reason.

He then plopped on his bed with a frustrated sigh. He raised his head and rested his chin on his palm while he laid on his stomach. He remained in that position with his lips formed into a pout for a while, contemplating hard. He then decided he'd text Kageyama and ask for his opinion but received a rather unexpected notification instead.

It was from Souta.

Souta: Hey Hinata, wanna grab a drink?
Hinata: Heyyy
Hinata: Uhhh... I already have plans for today (・᷄-・᷅)໑
Souta: That's fine. When can we meet?
Hinata: Umm.... I guess, not today :(
Hinata: I've promised to spend the day with Kageyama!! ʚ(。˃ ᵕ ˂ )ɞ
Souta: Oh
Souta: Where are you guys going?
Hinata: To the arcade! (˶ᵔ ᵕ ᵔ˶)
Souta: Alright
Souta: Have fun :)
Hinata: Will do! Thanks! (づ ᴗ _ᴗ)づ♡

After they bid their goodbyes in text, Hinata sure was surprised by the sudden invitation by Souta. Why does he wanna hangout with me suddenly? He wondered. It's not like they were complete strangers; Souta had helped Hinata with his homework a multiple times before and it was Souta who had accompanied Hinata when he was getting familiar with the university and it's routes.

However, Hinata seemed to have forgotten about texting Kageyama and ended up choosing a random outfit. Since it was the middle of April, Hinata decided to wear high-waisted shorts along with a crop top hoodie. He added knee high socks to the look along with a small backpack, star hair-clips plus his favorite Jordan shoes. To top it off, he applied lip tint.

'I'm on my way.' Hinata typed down before happily beginning his walk towards Kageyama's house, hopping occasionally or twirling as he walk in excitement. It was hardly a ten minutes walk and the redhead was enjoying every second of it. One would perceive the weather to be calm; the breeze was gently cool and the sky appeared to be partially cloudy. To Hinata, it felt as though nothing could possibly go wrong - or could they?

Hinata was humming a random song he heard this morning on the TV. He halted in his tracks when he noticed Kageyama waiting outside his apartment, head lowered as his attention was fixed to his phone. When Hinata noticed Kageyama wearing the hoodie he had gifted him that day at the metro station, his cheeks flushed red. He sure is making efforts to make me happy. Hinata thought. Whether he accepts it or not.

Hinata's lips formed a mischievous smile on his face as a splendid idea struck his mind. He tiptoed towards Kageyama, careful to not make a noise and oh god did he thought he'd succeed in his plan but Kageyama wasn't that big of a stupid neither was he deaf. He turned himself towards Hinata who was creeping behind him, ready to shout "Boo!"

"What the hell are you doing?" Kageyama asked, his face was swamped by puzzlement. "Uhhh... boo?" Hinata chuckled awkwardly. "Omg. I'm so scared," Kageyama replied with heavy sarcasm, maintaining his expressionless face. "Ugh! Party-pooper!" Hinata pouted. "If you're done, shall we go?" Kageyama questioned. "Yeah. Let's go," Hinata uttered.

Kageyama then unlocked his car and they got in - Kageyama on the driver's and Hinata on the passenger seat of course. "So?" Hinata asked while buckling up his seatbelt. "Hm?" Kageyama hummed in response as he twisted the key. "How do I look?" Hinata inquired cheekily. "Don't expect an answer. I'm not your boyfriend," Kageyama scoffed. "Mean! As if best friends don't compliment each other. Hmph!" Hinata grumbled, crossing his arms and looking away from Kageyama with a pout; staring blankly at the window with furrowed brows.

"You're just desperate for compliments because your boyfriend won't give you those," Kageyama teased whilst he drove. "Shut up!" Hinata whined, "Stop hurting my feelings!"
"Aww. Is baby Hinata about to start crying?" Kageyama teased further, very clearly enjoying it. "Yeah. Now stop it," Hinata mumbled. "Jeez, okay. Since when are you so sensitive?" Kageyama clicked his tongue.

Hinata didn't respond and continued staring out the window, blankly. Kageyama stole a glance of the latter who now appeared to be visibly downhearted. Kageyama sighed - he couldn't continue on with the day like this, the motive was to make Hinata feel happy, not depressed than he already was. He knew he had to revive Hinata's ecstasy.

"You look good," Kageyama commented in a low voice but Hinata's alert ears caught it, he turned his head towards the taller slowly and stared at his monotonous face for any sign of mischief. There wasn't any. Either he was speaking the truth or he was really good at hiding his expressions.

Fuck. Kageyama cussed inwardly when he noticed from the corner of his eye how fucking beautiful Hinata actually looked under the golden sunlight entering through the car window. Since when is he so self-conscious about his looks? He thought. Sure he didn't mean it in a romantic way but in a general way. However, his thoughts were soon interrupted by the redhead.

"Really? You mean it?" Hinata asked. "Yeah," Kageyama stated briefly causing Hinata to smile softly; it somewhat made him feel happy how Kageyama genuinely cared about his feelings. But his happiness didn't last long as a wave of random sadness hit him hard. "I wonder when will Kenji compliment me again," he murmured.

The car came to a halt at the traffic light. "Never mind him," Kageyama spoke, "I bet he'll be back to his normal self again soon." Of course Kageyama wasn't sure of it himself but he just had to make a comment that would comfort Hinata even a bit. He's had enough of pretending like he didn't know how to comfort someone; if he cared about Hinata, he was gonna show it from now on.
"I hope so," Hinata breathed out the words.

After a few minutes, they arrived at their destination. The place wasn't that crowded given, it was a weekend. Without any further ado, they began having their fun; they'd play games, especially those in which they could compete against each other. They kept track of their wins and loses like they usually do. The two even tried their luck on the claw machine and surprisingly Kageyama got it in his first try. Meanwhile, Hinata had to attempt it six times at least about which Kageyama wouldn't stop making fun of.

Hinata had completely forgotten about his worries - his relationship with Kenji, Souta and whatnot. He appeared to be living in the moment, all that was in his sight were neon lights, games, cotton candies and of course, Kageyama - the most important of all.

"That was so fun, Kageyama!" Hinata cheered as he stretched. His face was partially filled with small random glittering stickers that he had collected earlier, plus a bunny headband had also appeared on his head. "What shall we have for food?" Kageyama asked, his face too felt prey to the tiny glimmering stickers that Hinata had forced him to wear.

"Let's go have ramen from a stall! I saw one on the way here!" Hinata suggested. "Sure. Here," Kageyama handed the redhead a bottle of water. "Thanks," Hinata smiled and that's when his phone buzzed.

He checked and it was a text from Kenji.