XXI. Betrayal

AT THE BAKERY. The group of children stood outside the bakery and smelled the delicious aroma coming from within. Cadell hopped up and down.

"Let's go inside!!" Cadell yelled as he ran and grabbed the door hinge.

"Jeez it's not going anywhere, no hurries." said Lifa.

The group entered the bakery and were greeted by a warm smile from Linda who was overjoyed by their visit.

"Thank You so much for visiting! You have no idea how happy it makes me to see children coming to my shop, especially such cute ones like you all."

"Miss Linda, it's your food that's amazing , my brother couldn't stop talking about it yesterday." Lifa said as she pointed at Cadell who was hopping all around the shop looking at the goodies it stored.

Linda gave them a big smile and announced

"I'll let you take whatever you want for free."

"No-no, We brought money we'll pay." Lifa said as she brought a bag of coins out from her pocket.

"Such angelic children you are." Linda said with teary eyes.

Lifa smiled. The gang spread across the bakery to look at all the delicacies it had to offer. After a few minutes of observing they were suddenly overcome by the tang of freshly baked cookies.

They looked at the counter to see Linda bringing a tray of chocolate cookies.

"I just finished these ! Want some?" Linda asked them and most of them nodded to her question.

As they were headed to the counter where Linda was placing the cookies on a plate, Cadell slowed down. Gunther, who noticed, turned back to see what was keeping him.

"Cad? " He looked at Cadell who seemed to have a serious look on his face.

Gunther's eyes laid upon Willow who was standing behind Cadell and clinging on to his shirt. She had her head facing the ground and was trembling slightly.

Gunther turned to look for Winslow and they made eye contact. It was a silent conversation of eyes. Willow was scared for some reason. Winslow was aware and was looking at Cadell and Gunther.

After a few seconds of staring at each other. Cadell whispered to Willow as he patted her head.

"Shh... it's gonna be okay.. go with your brother.."

Willow looked up at Cadell , still trembling. Cadell smiled at her and Winslow walked over to hold her sister's hand.

Cadell went to the counter where although Ruby , Elio and Jasper were unaware of Willow's reaction, Lifa had noticed it.

"Yay! Linda your cookies are heavenly" Cadell said as he picked up one of the most chocolatey ones.

"What's going on?" Lifa whispered quietly to Cadell.

"..We're leaving.. Willow had that feeling again." Cadell whispered back before taking a bite of the cookie.

Lifa gulped before looking back at Gunther. Gunther was standing near the door with the twins.

They made eye contact and Gunther signaled for them to leave when they got the chance.

"Hey... act natural.." Cadell whispered to her.

Lifa immediately turned her head forward at the cookies and picked one up.

"W-wow they have such a nice color.."

Ruby and Elio had already tried the cookies and were asking Linda about the recipe and ingredients, while Jasper too had eaten a cookie and had noticed something wrong with Lifa.

Before he could ask her anything , Cadell put his hand on his shoulder and said.

"Oh Jazz, did you see the cakes at the back , there was one with chocolate ALL over it. Let me show you!"

"Uh-I–"

Cadell tightened his hold on his shoulder.

"Uh-O-okay.." Jasper replied.

Cadell dragged Jasper at the end of the bakery and whispered the details to him.

"The three of you over there.... is something wrong ? " Linda asked as she pointed at Gunther standing with the twins.

"Oh Goodness! The girl's complexion doesn't look good , is she not feeling well?" Linda asked worriedly.

"..Willow has always been a bit on the sensitive side. Maybe she needs some fresh air.. Win, let's take her out for a breather." Gunther said as he looked over to Cadell and Lifa.

'Now!' They thought.

"Willow! Are you okay?? Where does it hurt ??" Ruby ran to Willow and bombarded her with questions. Elio followed behind her.

Willow just stayed silent and kept her head low, while tightening the grip on her brother's hands.

"She's fine, just needs some air." Winslow replied with a small smile.

Lifa came closer to Ruby and Elio and whispered to them "Ruby , Eli , I know this is sudden.. but we need to leave.."

Ruby and Elio looked up at Gunther and Winslow before subtly nodding. Gunther looked over at Cadell and he nodded as well. They were now ready to make a run for it.

Lifa gulped as she announced to Linda.

"Since Willow's feeling under the weather , we might as well call it a day. We won't be buying anything. Thank you for the cookies , they were delicious. We'll be leaving now." Lifa smiled and then held Ruby's and Eilo's hand, Gunther held Willow's and Winslow's hand and Cadell attempted to hold Jasper's hand but Jasper punched him in the face.

'Something doesn't feel right..' The group thought.

"..Why hasn't Linda replied...?" The group thought and Cadell looked over at Linda and almost screamed at the face she was making.

Suddenly Gunther opened the door of the bakery, looked at the rest of them and shouted for them to leave, yet nobody moved...

"Well if it isn't the same brat from last time!"

'..Huh?' Gunther turned back to face two grown men , one of them was the same one who tried to kidnap Arius from last time, he had a scar on his chin.

The man wickedly smiled at them.