LXXXVIII. Teasing

THEIR BREAKFAST WAS FAR FROM DIGESTIBLE, since there was this awkward tension in the air. Jennette sat beside Athanasia and all her attempts at starting a conversation with Claude were utterly ruined as he only gave curt replies.

Athanasia and Arius shared a few glances before conversing with Jennette. However, Claude's bitterness in that was visible on his face.

Don't ask how they went through the whole meal. What matters is that it is over.

Ijekiel arrived shortly after the breakfast was over and Arius met him in his Palace library.

After exchanging greetings, they got straight to the point.

"Is everything okay with the Duke?"

"He did seem frustrated by how the audience went. But other than that, we didn't really talk much after we got back to the mansion."

"I see, let me know if he does something."

"Sure. And how is his Majesty? I didn't think he would accept Jennette that quickly? Is everything okay between her and him?"

"Well. . . he accepted her to reside on Palace grounds, but other than that he still doesn't accept her as his daughter."

"That'll probably take time."

Arius stared at Ijekiel wondering whether he should tell him or not.

"You know. . .I think Jennette really isn't his daughter."

Ijekiel raised his eyebrow in question.

"She could be," Arius looked around before whispering, "The previous emperor's daughter. "

Ijekiel placed his index finger on his chin as he began to think of the possibilities of that being true.

"Would you like me to look into this?" Ijekiel asked and Arius stared at him blankly.

"Can you?"

Ijekiel nodded.

"But if this really is true, I would still like to keep it a secret." Arius stated.

"Yes, I feel the same. If this is true, then it would ruin her life."

"Oh and, do you know what's happening in the north?"

"Duke Lejaris being extremely suspicious is all." Ijekiel replied.

"Hm, I didn't think you'd know. If you know then the Duke probably told you."

"No, the Duke doesn't even know about it." Ijekiel noticed Arius's questioning gaze.

"I have my own people who get me information."

Arius smiled and his face looked so proud while looking at Ijekiel.

"Dang, you've grown up." When Arius said that, Ijekiel blushed but he brushed it off and changed the topic.