LXXVII. Birthdays

IT WAS NOW DECEMBER, and that meant Athanasia's birthday. Claude had never celebrated his children's birthday's before, but this year was different.

In the morning of her birthday, Athanasia woke up without too much thought of the date. Lily wished her and dressed her up for tea time with her father in the morning and the princess was soon at the table in the garden.

Arius was already there, and so was Claude.

After greeting each other and sitting down together, Arius pushed forward a wooden box, with delicate carvings towards Athanasia.

"What's this?" Athanasia asked.

Arius smiled. "Happy Birthday."

Athanasia looked at him with surprise, before enthusiastically opening the box.

And within it was a pocket watch. A silver pocket watch with green gemstones and a leafless tree at the centre of the cover.

Athanasia gave Arius a knowing smile. "Thank you."

Claude cleared his throat, catching the two's attention.

"Right, Dad has a gift to give you as well."

Athanasia raised her eyebrows as she smiled in anticipation.

Claude placed two keys in front of Athanasia.

A key to one of the Treasury, and another key to a personal library for the princess.

Athanasia jumped on Claude and gave him a kiss on the cheek before she hugged him tightly. "Thank you Dad! I love it!"

Claude returned the hug and mumbled, "I'm glad."

The rest of the day was filled with joy for the little princess. It truly was one heck of a birthday for her.

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚.───

TIME PASSED MERCILESSLY, soon Arius's ninth birthday arrived. It was the same setting as Athanasia's birthday.

Tea time in the garden. And Athanasia presented her gift for him.

A sword.

Not a fancy one. Athanasia knew Arius's taste well to know he liked less fancy ones. A silver metal scabbard with delicate carvings. The hilt was also silver with a smooth grip.

The blade was light but sharp, and on it was inscribed some symbols.

난 항상 당신을 위해 여기 있어요.

Is this Japanese? No wait, Korean?

Arius looked at Athanasia who looked anxious.

"It's a really awesome gift, Athy. Which language are these symbols? What do they mean?" Arius asked.