Figure You Out

I watched Margot as she walked in front of me, desperately trying not to stare at her legs. She was in a great dress – it was green and shiny and hugged her body. She looked over her shoulder, smiling at me as we weaved through the crowd. Before we could make it to her back door, Chrissy Cunningham caught her, grabbing her arms and seeming excited.

"Oh my god, oh my god, Margot!" she exclaimed. "Jason's been so flirty tonight – he just asked me to go sit with him outside!"

I felt uncomfortable, like I was intruding on a moment. Of course, I was. I shouldn't have come tonight.

"Maybe you should take this time to ask him to the Sadie Hawkins dance!" Margot teased, squeezing her friend's shoulders.

"Oh, as if – I have a couple more months before that, so don't push me!" Chrissy replied. She finally noticed me and smiled awkwardly. "Oh, sorry – hi!"

"Hi, I'm Meddie Unson – sorry, I'm Eddie Munson," I said, stumbling over my own name and embarrassing myself. I smiled nervously.

"I know – I'm Chrissy. I didn't realize you were coming," she remarked, looking at Margot. I felt my face burn. I know I shouldn't have come.

"Yeah, Eddie's my guest!" Margot replied, talking quickly. She reached for the backdoor. "You and Jason should go to the front porch – there's a cozy porch swing you could two could snuggle on."

With that, Margot grabbed my forearm and pulled me outside with her. I was stunned when I looked around her backyard.

It was huge – besides the giant pool, there was a lawn with games set up on it, and a gazebo with a table and chairs around it. I was in awe – I think her pool was bigger than my trailer. The door closed and Margot appeared at my side, too close for me to be calm. I looked down at her and she grinned at me.

"You still have those beers?" she asked. I smiled and held them up. She grinned wider and placed a hand on my bicep, setting my body on fire. "My hero!"

I was amazed by this development. Not only did Margot Patterson invite me to her party, but she also invited me to sit outside with her. By myself. With beer. By a pool!

This was a recipe for something. I'm not sure what. But something.

She plopped down on one of the pool chairs, kicking her legs up and crossing them, leaning back on her hands. I felt my throat close up and stumbled over to her, my boot still not laced from when I pulled it off earlier. I sat on the pool chair across from hers, delicately placing our beers on the ground.

I glanced at her and noticed her watching me, her eyes tracing along my arms and hands. I cleared my throat and pulled my jacket off, suddenly sweaty and uncomfortable with what was happening with my crush of a year.

"You have tattoos?" Margot asked, lunging forward and taking my arm in her hands.

I felt my face flush and my throat dried. She was so close to me, the top of her head right by my face. I swallowed hard and closed my eyes, leaning forward to take her scent in. Lavender. It would become my new favorite smell. She suddenly shot her face up, inches away from me now.

"You have tattoos!" she repeated. I smiled.

"Yeah – I have a bunch. I've got to cover them up at school or I can get in trouble," I explained. She grinned and I felt my face burn. She turned my arm over, delicately tracing the dorky designs of Lord of the Rings and Dungeons and Dragons characters.

"So cool," she said quietly.

"Definitely not – they're all inspired by pretty dorky things," I countered. She shook her head.