Uncle Wayne

Margot was so cute, still under the covers and her hair messy. I wanted to stay in bed with her all day, curled up with one another and trading kisses. There was a pit forming in my stomach at the thought of her meeting my uncle.

Wayne was well meaning but always accidentally embarrassed me. He would tell stories too loud or share details that he shouldn't. He had noticed my good mood over the last month and a half and had correctly attributed it to a girl. He peppered me with questions, wanting to know more about Margot. He had insisted on meeting her, and I had told him to cool it. Nothing sounded worse than my uncle embarrassing me in front of Margot Patterson – I was already lame, and I didn't need to give her more reasons to keep sneaking around.

But here we were.

Margot smiled brightly and held a hand out for me to take. I laced her fingers with mine and nervously smiled back.

"I'm sure Wayne is great."

"Eddie – get your ass up and get some breakfast!" Wayne barked. My stomach churned and I groaned. I pulled a shirt on and ran my hands through my hair.

"Keep your pants on, old man!" I snapped. Margot was getting out of bed and grabbed her bag of sleepover things. She kissed me quickly and smiled.

"Be sweet. I'm going to get changed," she said, padding to the bathroom. I waited for her to close the door before I angrily punched the air, desperately trying to figure out how to get out of this.

"Damn it, Eddie – hurry up!"

I felt a flash of anger and threw open my door, storming into the kitchen. Wayne was pouring himself a cup of coffee and smiled when I walked in.

"Good morning, sleeping beauty!" he chirped. I glared and started gesturing wildly.

"You need to be cool, okay? I need you to be cool, because if you're not cool, then it's going to be bad, and I need this to be good—"

"Eddie, take a breath – you're starting at chapter ten. I need you to start at the beginning," he interrupted, using a metaphor he often said to me to get me to give him the full story.

"I have a friend here," I said warily. He furrowed his brows, tilting his head to the side.

"You always have friends over. Is it Gareth or Jeff?"

"No, Wayne," I hissed. "I have a friend over."

He watched me for a beat, still confused. His face suddenly broke into a smile as he realized what I meant.

"Is it the mystery girl you've been hiding from me?" he whispered. I groaned and put my face in my hands.

"Wayne, please, I really like this girl, and I need you to be cool."

"I'm always cool!" he quipped. I glared at him, and the pit in my stomach grew when I heard my bathroom door open. I looked back to my room and watched Margot walk out – she had brought a change of clothes, shorts and a soft-looking t-shirt that had Queen on it. She grinned at me, and I felt like I was going to pass out.

"Wayne, this is Margot," I said, gesturing at her when she was visible to Wayne. Wayne's eyes lit up and he smiled at her. I turned to her. "Go, this is my Uncle Wayne."

"It's very nice to meet you, sir," she said sweetly, nodding at him.

"It is a delight to meet you, Ms. Margot!" Wayne replied, his smile growing. She tucked a piece of hair behind her ear and smiled up at me. "Are you hungry?"

She shook her head.

"No, sir – thank you, though!" she said, leaning into me. Wayne's grin was now ear to ear.