One of Everything

Part of me wondered if I actually wanted to help Margot with her friends.

She started kissing my neck and I looked down at her, my eyes wide.

"Go, stop it!" I hissed. She rolled her eyes and sat up, glaring at the front of the van.

"We're right here," she snapped, getting up and going to the front. I followed her and smiled sheepishly over her shoulder. Chrissy waved awkwardly and Jason's eyes narrowed. "Why are you guys following us?"

"I got worried when I saw the hazards on!" Chrissy explained, her eyes wide and sincere.

"We're your friends, we're allowed to worry," Jason added, his tone sharp. He was glancing around, trying to figure out what we were doing. I saw him take a sniff – I remember Margot telling me how much he hated weed. Margot groaned and I panicked – I needed to fix this.

"Thanks, guys – we are all good. Margot and I just wanted to hang out for a bit in the van," I lied, smiling brightly at them. Margot looked up at me, confused. I smiled nervously and cleared my throat. "We were just at the mall getting my suit for the dance."

Margot was even more confused as Jason and Chrissy looked at each other. Chrissy nodded and turned back to us.

"We just got done picking Jason's up – I guess we just missed each other!" she replied cheerily. I cleared my throat and decided to be brave for Margot.

"Well, if you guys aren't busy, maybe we could all go grab a bite?" I asked.

"What?" both Jason and Margot replied, incredulous at my suggestion. I smiled down at Margot.

"Yeah – could be fun! We've all got to eat," I answered. Margot was stunned and confused by my suggestion. I was desperate to be the perfect boyfriend and make this work for her.

"Like a double-date – that could be fun!" Chrissy agreed. She leaned into Jason and smiled up at him. "Come on, it will be fun! And a good way for us to talk about the dance!"

I smiled at Chrissy as she gave me a thumbs up. I realized that she was my ally in bridging the gap between them and Margot. Jason watched Chrissy and finally nodded.

"Fine. Let's go to the diner," he said sharply. I nodded, maintaining my smile.

"Sounds great – we'll follow you there!" I replied. Chrissy dragged Jason away, whisper yelling at him to be nice. Margot turned to me slowly, almost like she was in a horror movie. I flashed a smile at her.

"A 'bite'?" she asked, her tone scathing. I leaned close to her face.

"We all gotta eat, princess," I replied before kissing her softly. I grinned when she melted into me – I knew she hated when she gave into me when she was trying to make a point. I sat in my seat and helped her into hers, holding her hand tightly as I started following Jason in his nice fancy car. I glanced over at her.

She was so nervous, fidgeting with the ring I had given her months ago and biting the inside of her cheek. I pressed my lips to her knuckles and brought her attention back to me. Her brows were furrowed into a worried expression. I smiled at her.

"It's going to be okay," I assured. She sighed. "What's the worst that could happen?"

"They could be mean to you," she said quietly. I squeezed her hand.

"You won't let that happen," I answered. She smiled shyly.

"You could be mean to them," she said, her tone finally teasing. I grinned at her.

"I don't know how to be mean," I joked back. I watch her visibly relax.

"A tornado could come through and rip off the roof of the diner," she mused. I kissed the back of her hand.