Old Margot vs New Margot

I followed Jason into my house, silently cursing my friend in my head. I could tell he felt bad, because he had tried to make excuses to go back in without us, but I was embarrassed. I had been caught, and I was in a situation that New Margot wouldn't have ever been in.

But Old Margot had hoped for her first kiss.

Yes, that's right – even though I had transformed myself over the last year, Old Margot was still holding out on that one part. I couldn't shake her on it, always chickening out on my dates and opting for kisses on the cheek or tight hugs.

And for a moment outside, both New Margot and Old Margot thought Eddie Munson was worth kissing.

Everyone was staring at Eddie, bewildered at his presence. He was beet red, staring at his feet as we walked in. I felt a surge of courage and grabbed his hand, pulling him through the crowd to the table we had set up as a makeshift beer pong table. He smiled goofily at me when we made it, holding his jacket in his other hand. I took it from him and set it on a chair close by. I stared at his arms, still entranced by his tattoos. He leaned close to my ear, and Old Margot felt a flush.

"I'm going to need you to teach me how to play this game," he said lowly. I smiled and furrowed my brows together.

"You really meant it when you said you don't go to parties," I commented. He smiled.

"Yeah – I'm mostly relegated to movie nights with Hellfire," he replied. I crinkled my nose and nudged him.

"Who would have thought that I knew how to play this game before you did?" I teased. He furrowed his brows.

"What do you mean?"

Shit. Shut up Old Margot.

I brushed him off and started explaining the rules, trying desperately to ignore the stares of the people I had been friends with for a year. Eddie was loosening up a bit, but I could tell he was nervous. Chrissy had an arm around Jason's waist, and while he was talking, I caught her attention to give her a thumbs up and wink at her. She smiled and returned the gesture, making me laugh.

"That should help with the confusion of you two dating," Eddie whispered in my ear. I looked at him and smiled. Was he flirting?

"What will they say about us?" I teased. Eddie turned crimson and started stumbling over his words. Old Margot's stomach flipped. This was going to be a problem.

We continued to play beer pong together, laughing as we missed multiple cups and over-celebrating when we made it. Once I had gotten so excited that Eddie made a cup that threw my arms around his neck and he lifted me up, cheering. He dropped me, grinning, and I watched him, really taking him in. He was so handsome. Even with his shaggy hair and alternative clothes, he had a great smile and kind eyes.

I finally glanced around. All of my friends were watching me, utterly confused by my behavior. I released him and internally kicked myself. I needed to get a hold of myself.

---

I would be riding the high of Margot Patterson hugging me for the rest of my life. I would be riding the high of this night for the rest of my life.

I sunk another ping pong ball into a cup and was met with wary cheers. I could tell that they were all confused by my presence, and even more confused by my proximity to Margot. I was not supposed to be here – they knew it and I knew it. Margot was seemingly the only one who didn't.

I watched her as she chattered to one of the cheerleaders about something, making everyone laugh as they listened. She was impossible to ignore and she drew everyone in. Why was she wasting time with me?