Truths Revealed

"You remind of the babe!"

"What babe?"

"Babe with the power," Margot replied, poking my nose with her finger that had my ring on it. I grabbed it and pulled her close.

"What power?" I asked.

"Power of voodoo."

"Who do?"

"You do!"

"Do what?"

Margot laughed at me and pressed her forehead to mine.

"Remind me of the babe!"

I laughed and wrapped her in my arms. We leaned back on the mattress set up, our legs entangled with one another. I continued to watch David Bowie sing to puppets on the large screen, the van doors finally open. I would have stayed locked in the back with Margot all night if she would let me.

But Margot so badly wanted to see Labyrinth, going on and on about the different puppets she loved so much. I was confused by this Margot – she was being goofy and geeky; unlike the preppy girl I had built up in my head. I was enjoying it, though. She was surprising and interesting, and I knew I hadn't really gotten to who Margot actually was. I was just desperately trying to play it cool so my shine wouldn't wear off to her.

But something was eating at me.

"So, you called me Sir Tiebaut earlier," I commented. She continued looking ahead, lacing my fingers with hers and eating more popcorn. She rested her head on my shoulder, making my heart pound as she giggled at the puppets on screen.

"Of course, I did – he's Princess Margot's love interest," she replied simply. I started tracing her thigh. I furrowed my brows and took a deep breath.

"But didn't you say you've never read your dad's books?" I asked. She tensed in my arms, still not looking at me. I felt my stomach drop – I think I had hit a nerve.

"I guess I did say that," she said slowly. I watched her, trying to understand what was going on. I felt a light bulb go off.

"Oh my god," I gasped. She sat up, smiling weakly at me.

"Eddie—"

"Are you a secret nerd?" I asked, stupefied. Her face turned bright red. My jaw dropped as my grin grew. "Oh my god, you're a secret nerd!"

"Former is a better descriptor!" she insisted. I shook my head.

"As if – you're the one who's singing along with puppets!" I teased, pointing to the movie screen. She buried her face in her hands and I felt my heart drop. I nervously reached out to her, desperate to fix things to keep having the perfect date. "Hey, Go, I'm sorry, I shouldn't—"

"No, it's fine," she squeaked, still hiding behind her hands. I smiled, endeared by her sudden nervousness. I took her hands and peeled them off her face, gripping them tight. I smiled at her.

"You know, it's okay to be a nerd. Especially with me," I assured.

She groaned and fell back on the cushions I had set up earlier. I leaned on my side, propping myself up on my elbow. She glared up at the ceiling of the van and I reached out, setting my hand on the side of her face. I hooked my finger under her chin and pulled her face to me.

"I promise. Even if you had Weird Al Yankovic tattooed on you, you would still be the coolest person I've ever met, and the coolest person in Hawkins," I murmured. She flushed again and smiled shyly.

"You're just saying that," she replied. I shook my head.

"I told you. None of my lines would ever work on you," I insisted. Her smile grew.