Miracle of Miracles

Eddie pulled his boots off once we got inside, nervously stumbling over his feet as we walked to the kitchen. My parents were laughing together, teasing each other as they cooked. Eddie was close behind me as we got to the kitchen.

"Hey, guys – my friend, Eddie, is here," I announced. My parents turned to us, beaming.

"Welcome, Eddie!" my dad greeted, wiping his hands as he crossed to Eddie. They shook hands and Eddie was as nervous as he was when he learned who my dad was.

"Hi, Mr. Patterson, h-how are you sir?"

"Very well – do you like pasta?"

"I like anything!" Eddie insisted enthusiastically. This made my parents laugh and my mom came over to us as well.

"Well, that's good to hear," she teased, leaning into my dad. She looked at me. "Why didn't you ask Chrissy to stay?"

I felt heat creep up my neck and got embarrassed.

"Oh, she had homework she had to do!" I lied. The fear I had of my parents potentially spilling the beans about me and Eddie reared its ugly head. I swallowed hard and forced a smile. I could feel Eddie watching me. My father raised an eyebrow and turned his attention back to Eddie.

"So, Mr. Munson – come with me. We'll go grab those short stories from my study," my dad ordered. Eddie's jaw dropped and his eyes widened.

"Wait, you were serious about that?" Eddie exclaimed, giddy. My dad laughed and nodded.

"Of course – I think I'd benefit from feedback from someone who is as passionate about fantasy as you," my dad replied. Eddie looked at me, his face full of an expression of a kid on Christmas morning. I smiled.

"He was the one that invited you over!" I teased. Eddie's smile grew and he followed my dad to his study, peppering my dad with questions about the books he loved so much. I watched them, my heart skipping at how excited Eddie was. I felt a poke on my side and turned to my mom.

"He's cute," she gushed. I felt like my face was set on fire with how embarrassed I was.

"Oh, my god, stop it!" I hissed, desperately hoping she wouldn't push it. She grinned and poked me again.

"Do you like him?" she teased. I felt my stomach drop and New Margot was in panic mode.

"We're just friends!" I lied. Her smile grew and she nodded her head knowingly.

"Oh, I see. Just friends," she parroted back. I looked at my feet. This was a problem. They both liked him.

"Are you sure, Mr. Patterson? I can—"

"Eddie, I'm positive. Take them back with you and you can let me know what you think next time I see you," my dad replied as they walked back in. Eddie had several manuscripts in his hand, holding them close to his chest like they were precious treasure.

"Thank you so much, sir, I can't tell you how excited I am to read them. I bet I won't have any feedback!" Eddie complimented, over the moon. I grinned.

"I look forward to hearing your thoughts," my dad said, clapping his hand on Eddie's shoulder. Eddie nodded eagerly and my dad turned to me.

"Dinner in an hour, little elf," he told me. I nodded and looked to Eddie.

"Want to go work on our project some more?" I asked Eddie. Eddie nodded and continued to thank my dad profusely as we left, making both of my parents laugh. He followed me up the stairs to my room, still gushing over the stories my dad had given him.

We got to my room, and I closed the door, watching Eddie as he continued to chatter on. He was so excited, wrapped up in his own bubble and excited about what my dad had given me. His eyes were lit up and glistening. My heart started to pick up as I crossed over, sitting on my bed next to him. He was explaining something in detail, gesturing wildly, and I felt my heart swell. He noticed me watching him and stopped abruptly, his face turning red.