Dynasty

I sorted through my books in my locker, smiling at thoughts from the night before. I felt a large hand on my shoulder and turned, smiling wildly.

"Where have you been, Mar-got?" Jason asked, smiling back at me. I tried to maintain my smile and not appear disappointed – I had thought he was Eddie for a minute. I pulled another book out and shrugged.

"What do you mean?" I asked, playing dumb. He leaned up against the locker and crossed his arms.

"Our girl's been MIA – I feel like me and Chrissy haven't seen you at all lately," he explained, poking my shoulder. I tried to force my blush down and smiled brightly.

"Well, I was busy with schoolwork and then my parents got back, so I spent some time with them," I lied. He sighed and nodded.

"Well, I miss my friend," he said, setting an arm around my shoulder. We started walking towards class. "I feel like I haven't even seen you in the hallways."

I flushed, trying not to be annoyed with my friend. This was one of the times I normally would sneak away with Eddie, our hands all over each other and not wanting to leave each other's embrace. I smiled up at Jason.

"Maybe you're just not looking hard enough," I quipped. He laughed and nodded his head.

"Sounds like it," he conceded. I glanced around and locked eyes with Eddie. He widened his eyes, obviously annoyed that I was with Jason. I mouthed "sorry" to him and shrugged. Jason squeezed my shoulder. "Still on for tonight?"

I snapped my head up to him, furrowing my brows.

"What?" I asked. He looked down at me, confused.

"Hey, guys!" Chrissy cheered, bounding over to us. Jason grinned and dropped me, taking her in his arms. They kissed sweetly and I smiled, still happy my friends had come together. Jason turned back to me.

"It's Dynasty night," Jason answered. I nodded, understanding.

Every Wednesday, we would all come together and watched the show Dynasty. Chrissy loved the show – I pretended I did, too, to ensure we would be friends, and Jason came along under the guise of wanting to understand what we would talk about at lunch. I know now that it was a ruse to spend more time with Chrissy.

"Oh, right!" I replied. They watched me smiling and I realized something.

I didn't want to watch Dynasty.

"Well, it's a rerun this week," Chrissy said, leaning into Jason. Thank God – I had an out.

"Well, I can't tonight – I have to work on that English project with Eddie," I said, making a disappointed face. Jason sighed.

"That damn project," he said, raising an eyebrow.

"Yeah, you are doing so much more than what me and Marcie are doing," Chrissy said, teasing me. I flushed and shrugged.

"I just want to make sure we do a good job!" I said. Jason laughed.

"She probably has to do all the project on her own – I bet Munson's useless," Jason joked. I smiled tightly and New Margot made me keep my mouth shut. We couldn't say anything or else we would blow our cover. I got to my class and turned to them.

"I'll see you guys later!"

"Like at lunch?" Chrissy asked. "We haven't seen you in days!"

I grinned. Eddie and I had also started skipping lunch to sneak around even more. I shrugged.

"Just depends on what I can get done on my schoolwork!" I lied. I raced into class before they could push on me some more. I sat in my usual spot, near the door, and started to pull my notebook out of my bag. I got my notes situated and looked to the front as the bell rang.