Sneaking Around

I was a nervous wreck when I got to school, anxiously looking around for Margot. I got to my locker, tuning the boys out as they talked.

"Is this the first time you've ever gotten to school early?" Dustin asked. I snapped my head to him and smiled nervously.

"Couldn't sleep – got up and decided to be productive," I replied.

That was true. I woke up this morning, convinced that everything from this weekend had been a dream. But then I got a whiff of her lavender that was still on my shirt and was over the moon when I realized it had all actually happened.

I spent as much time as I could getting ready, wanting to look nice for her. I branched out of my usual metal t-shirt and settled on a black t-shirt and a flannel, rolling the sleeves up my forearms. Gareth raised an eyebrow when I walked into school this morning.

"You're dressed up," he commented. I flushed.

"It's a flannel!"

"That's basically a tux for you, Munson," Jeff quipped. I rolled my eyes.

"Whatever – I ran out of my usual shit," I liked.

"Sure – you aren't dressing up for someone in particular?" Gareth asked, elbowing me. My face burned and I chose to ignore him. I looked around again and felt my heart catch.

Margot was walking down the hallway, making Jason and Chrissy laugh. Jason had an arm around Chrissy, and they were both cracking up at what Margot was saying. A very small part of me panicked that she was making fun of me to them, and I felt my heart drop.

But then, she locked eyes with me and smiled, suddenly too shiny for me to look at for too long. I smiled back nervously and fought the urge to wave. She took her hand and brushed her hair out of her face with her pointer finger – I noticed that she was wearing my ring. With this gesture, she had started the game of sneaking around with me, and I felt giddy.

"Holy shit – part of me didn't believe it," Jeff said, stunned. I turned to them and grinned.

"What were you guys saying about being delusional?" I quipped, on cloud nine.

"Dude, if this is real, you are a god amongst men," Gareth replied, clapping my back. I smiled and puffed my chest out – I really was. I had landed Margot Patterson. I had been her first kiss, and she had chosen me.

And we were going to sneak around today.

Gareth, Jeff, and I walked to our first class, the one we shared with Margot that I often spent a majority of the time staring at her. Margot was already there, perched perfectly in her chair with her legs crossed. She glanced over at me, and her smile grew. I winked at her and delighted in how red she turned.

We sat in our normal chairs, and I turned my attention back to Margot. She was in a tight red sweater that hugged her curves and a dark skirt that I had never seen before. I remembered how her legs felt wrapped around me and felt my mouth dry. She glanced at me and grinned when she noticed my stare. I smiled back and looked down at my notebook, trying to hide how red I was.

"Happy Monday," Mr. Krause greeted, walking in right when the bell rang. He held up a stack of papers. "Can someone help me hand these out? I'm running behind today."

"I can, Mr. Krause!" Margot replied, shooting her hand up. Mr. Krause smiled at her and handed them to her, crossing back to his desk. She stood and started passing the papers out, smiling and chatting with people. I noticed how everyone watched her, especially the other boys in class. I felt a flash of pride at this, knowing that I was the one that Margot wanted to kiss her.