Planting Seeds

"It's perfect. I don't know why you'd cover it up," Eddie commented, watching me in the mirror. I glared at him, trying not to smile as I dabbed concealer along my neck.

Since I had given Eddie permission to give me hickies two weeks ago, he had made it his mission in life to have a rotation of bruises along my neck and collarbones. As soon as one would clear up, it would be quickly replaced by a different one. I had learned how to get creative with my coverups, alternating between sweaters and shirts covering my neck or applying my new makeup skills to concealing them.

"You're a dork," I teased, shaking my head. He grinned and snaked his hands around my waist, pulling my back to his chest and setting his chin on my shoulder.

"Yeah, but I still stand by what I said," he replied. I grinned and leaned back into him, finishing my coverup job. He kissed the back of my neck, making my butterflies worse. He looked up in the mirror with his puppy-dog eyes. "Do you have to go tonight?"

I felt my heart break and frowned.

"If it wasn't for Chrissy's birthday, then I would stay in with you," I replied. His eyes were still so sad when he looked at me, but he nodded, agreeing with me. I felt the next words vomit up before I could stop them. "Do you want to come with me?"

His face lit up and I felt a momentary flash of joy. I then remembered the reality of everything.

"Like, as a couple?"

"Sneaking around, still. But we can go together like when you came to my party," I answered. I waited for his reaction, hoping that he wouldn't get angry. I was relieved when his face split into a grin and he pulled me closer.

"Sneaking around at a popular kid's party? Princess, you're so mischievous," he teased. I grinned and shrugged.

"It's a good way to plant some seeds for when we go public," I said. His smirk turned into an excited smile and his eyes got wide.

"You mean it?" he asked, his voice soft. I turned in his arms and wrapped my hands around the back of his neck.

"I told you – I'm in this. Let's plant the seeds," I replied. He grinned and buried his face in the crook of my neck, cheering like he often did when he couldn't hold it in but didn't want to embarrass himself. I laughed and kissed the side of his head. He pulled back and grinned, his eyes crinkled.

"I can't believe I'm going to a party with you. I'm excited," he flirted, squeezing me tighter to him. I felt a burst of joy at the idea of spending a whole weekend night with him and not sneaking off early in the night. I nodded and pulled him to my lips. He smiled into my touch and immediately started moving to my neck. I shrieked with laughter.

"Enough – I don't have time to redo my makeup!" I laughed. I pulled his face out of my neck and poked his nose. "Behave."

He groaned and tried to grasp at me as I wiggled out of his arms. I went to my closet to change, contemplating my choices. I smiled when I saw the green dress from the first party. I grabbed it and pulled it on, wondering if Eddie would notice.

As soon as I came back out into my room, Eddie's face softened, and he grinned at me.

"I remember that dress," he said softly. My butterflies swelled as I realized how thoughtful my boyfriend actually was. I bounded over to him and threw my arms around you and kissed him hard.

"You are one of a kind, Eddie Munson," I whispered, close to his lips. He turned bright red and swallowed hard.

"B-back at you, p-princess," he stammered. I grinned and his face split into a bright smile. He wrapped his arms around my waist and spun me around once, making me laugh. I kissed him quickly and took his hand.