Bluffing

Eddie was gripping onto me possessively, his large arms and embrace making me feel better as he held onto me. I knew he was torn – he was the one who had been so encouraging and trying to get me to reunite with my friends. But he had seen how upset they had managed to make me, how I hated what they said about Eddie. He wanted to be supportive but protect me.

"So do you guys – that color's great on you, Chrissy," I complimented back. I decided to be nice, but I was not going to let them ruin tonight.

"Thanks – I got it a couple weeks ago. Took everything to convince Jace to wear a bowtie," she replied, trying to connect. Jason had a similar hold around her, mirroring Eddie. It was strange how parallel certain things were in our lives, but how much everyone insisted we were too different.

"You clean up nicely, Munson – I never thought I'd see you in a tie," Jason commented, pointing at Eddie. Eddie looked at me, confused, but smiled kindly.

"Thanks, man. Margot had a lot to do with it. The bowtie is cool," Eddie offered kindly. We all sat in an awkward silence, and I squeezed Eddie's side.

"Okay – we're going to go," I announced, pulling Eddie along. Chrissy nodded sadly, not stopping us, and Eddie pulled me closer to him as we entered the decorated gym.

I looked up at Eddie, and the unbridled joy on his face made up for any awkward feelings we had just experienced. He looked around the room, beaming at the different decorations and set-up. I threw my arms around his neck, giggling as he squeezed me close to him and cheered into my neck. He pulled back and grinned before kissing me.

"It only took me six years, but Eddie Munson finally made it to a Hawkins High dance," he joked, making me laugh. I kissed him again, melting into him as he wrapped a hand around the back of my neck, pulling me close to him. I pulled back, grinning at how bright red he was.

"Want to go dance?" I asked. He smiled nervously.

"Let's spike a glass of punch first – I need some liquid courage to make sure I can defend you in case any of those lurkers try to cut in," he replied, nodding his head to a group of guys leaned up against the wall. They were leering at us – me, I guess – and as soon as I caught them, they looked away.

Eddie dropped me before draping himself over me like he normally liked to do, and we sauntered to the punch bowl. I poured the two of us glasses, and Eddie surreptitiously looked around before reaching into his inside pocket and grabbing a silver flask. He poured clear liquid into each of our glasses, and we clinked them together. I giggled as he threw his back and made a face at me, the alcohol burning his throat. He was immediately pink in the face and poured himself another glass.

"You look so pretty," he said after he finished his third glass, his face pink and warm. I grinned and kissed him quickly, leaning further into him.

"You look so handsome," I replied. His grin became goofy, and he set his glass on the table near us.

"Want to dance?" he asked.

I nodded furiously and took his hands, pulling him to the dance floor. A Tears for Fears song came on, and I hooked my hands around his neck. He was giddy as he pulled me close to him, setting his hands on the small of my back. We started to sway together, giggling as we stepped on each other's feet and stumbling over each other.

"You're a terrible dancer," I teased, scratching the back of his head. He hummed happily and got close to my face.

"Too distracted by you," he flirted. My heart skipped and he pressed his lips to mine, making me melt. He spun me out, making me laugh and yanked me back to him, burying his face in my neck and kissing it softly.