Brave for Each Other

"You need to calm down," I cooed as I rubbed Eddie's chest. He was staring up at the roof of his van as we laid back on the cushions and blankets that had taken permanent residence in Shelob. We were parked at school, deciding to show up hours before school started so we could spend even more time together.

"I'm just worried people are going to be assholes," he said nervously, his voice shaking. I shook my head and continued to rub his chest.

"They won't be. And if they are, I'll make them stop," I insisted. He closed his eyes and swallowed hard.

"I just want to be good enough for you," he said quietly. I felt my heart break. I sat up and straddled Eddie, tracing his chest and prompting him to open his eyes.

"Eddie, you are good enough and then some," I replied. He watched me, his eyes sad. I leaned close to his face. "You need to worry if I'm good enough for you."

He scoffed and rolled his eyes, but a smile grew on his face.

"As if. You're a princess and a goddess," he quipped. I grinned and kissed each of his cheeks and his eyes, then his forehead, just like he would with me.

"Who's a secret nerd, who loves puppets, and orcs, and David Bowie," I retorted. I kissed him. "And you."

His face finally broke into a smile, and he pulled me back to his lips, finally calming down a bit. I pressed my forehead to his and he sighed.

"I like it when we're brave for each other," he whispered. I grinned and nodded, kissing him quickly.

"Just enough to share," I teased. He smiled and rolled onto me, kissing me hard. He pulled back and brushed my hair out of my face.

"I want to skip school," he whined, finally my normal Eddie. I smiled and shook my head.

"No – we did not wake up this early and have you spend as much time as you did on your hair for us to skip," I said.

He groaned, rolling his eyes, before crumpling onto me, crushing me under his tall, lanky body. I laughed and kissed the side of his face. I was feeling excited that we were finally going to be able to roam hallways together and kiss in public. I had worked through my anxiety and was just thrilled to walk around with my boyfriend. I patted his back.

"Time to get up, Sir Tiebaut," I ordered. He groaned again but rolled off me, keeping his hands on me. He helped me up and out of Shelob, handing me my bag. I leaned into him, smoothing his wild curls out. He smiled a dazzling smile at me, making my heart skip.

"You sure you want to go, princess?" he asked, winking at me. I rolled my eyes and rocked up on my toes to kiss him. He took my hand and we started walking into school.

---

Margot was blissfully in her own world, talking in length about an assignment she had gotten done last night while I had been trying to distract her. I looked around and noticed that we were literally stopping traffic as we walked into the school. One car skirted to a stop and people were leering at us. I cleared my throat and dropped her hand, wrapping an arm around her waist and pulling her close.

I looked down at her and she smiled at me, making my heart stop. She leaned into me, and I felt a surge of pride at the knowledge that we were a couple. I raised my head in pride, smug, I nodded at the basketball team that was watching us in a stupor. I kissed the top of her head, thrilled to have been able to do that in public.

Margot was adorably unaware of anyone who was watching us, just being the Margot I knew and loved. She continued to describe her homework, and I pretended to listen to her.