Missed Calls

I woke up annoyed. I didn't want to do anything today. I didn't want to see anyone or talk to anyone. I didn't want to see Margot's legs and spend all day mooning over her.

I wasn't going to school.

I felt relieved when I made this decision. It was the first time since ending things with Margot that I didn't feel that familiar knot in the middle of my chest. I got up and took an extra-long shower, staying under the water until the hot water ran out and my fingers got pruney. I got out and changed, opting for the flannel Margot always complimented.

I was a glutton for punishment.

I strolled out into the kitchen, lazily making a bowl of cereal. The phone started ringing and I glanced at it. I meant it when I said I didn't want to talk to anyone today. I ate a large spoonful of cereal and padded into the living room, grabbing my stash from under the couch. The phone started ringing again and I glared at it.

I was even more annoyed when it rang again while I was rolling a joint. I groaned and rolled my eyes. I finished my bowl of cereal, leaving it on the table, and I stormed out of the trailer with my stash. I went to the back and climbed the boxes, opting to lie in me and Margot's spot and smoke weed all day.

I lit the joint and took a long drag from it, slowly letting the smoke out of my mouth. I took a deep breath. The phone started ringing again – what the hell was so important that someone wanted to talk to me this bad?

I stayed on the roof, enjoying the cool air and sunshine. I was feeling better than I had over the last couple of days. I hadn't come up here since Margot and I broke up, and I still missed her in my arms up here, asking about the different constellations and stories behind them. But it was going to be okay.

I took more hits from the joint and put it out, tucking the rest of it into my front pocket. I placed my hands behind my head and watched the clouds pass by. The phone rang a couple more times, but it eventually stopped. I felt myself doze off and had peaceful dreams.

"Eddie Munson!" a voice yelled.

I was shocked awake, taking in a deep breath. I blinked hard and looked around, forgetting where I was.

"Eddie Munson, where the hell are you?" the voice yelled again. I sat up and looked around, still confused and my head full of sleep. "I swear to God, I'm going to kill you."

I blinked hard again and shook my head. I stood and carefully walked along the roof. I peered down and cocked my head to the side.

"Margot?" I asked. She snapped her head up at me and glared.

"You are so annoying, do you know that?" she hissed. I watched her as she started pacing around, gesturing wildly. I smiled – she was wearing those dorky glasses she had shown me weeks ago, and she had a new skirt on. It was shorter than others she wore.

"Why are you here, Go?" I asked, crossing my arms. She pointed up at me, furious. I had never seen her this mad.

"Do you know how to answer a phone? And you need to start taking your attendance seriously – it's horseshit that you skipped school today," she hissed. I furrowed my brows.

"You were the one who kept calling? Why does it matter that I skipped school?" I asked. She groaned.

"Because, you asshole, you were supposed to go to the pep rally with Gareth and Jeff!"

"I don't go to pep rallies," I said simply. She scoffed again.

"Obviously, Eddie, I know that, I've been dating you for months, you don't think I know that?" she snapped. "Gareth and Jeff were supposed to make you go with them."