~sixteen~

Yara just stares, for there are no words to even begin to describe her shock. 

"Oh, come on, it's clear you like each other, but you are both obviously denying it. Maybe you are so in denial of your families ever getting along that you refuse to even be friends with him. If you hook up, you can get it out of your system and move on." Sarah ends with a huff, out of breath.

A beat passes. 

"Sarah." 

"Yes, my dearest friend in the whole wide world?" Sarah bats her lashes. 

"Firstly, I'm not hung up on him in any way. Therefore, I don't need to 'move on' from anything." She snaps.

Sarah blinks.

Yara glares. "Secondly, have you said anything about this to Reid?" Knowing her bestie, this is probably something her big mouth couldn't have kept in.

Sarah smiles. "Maybe." 

She has to physically restrain her mouth from snapping at Sarah, biting her cheek to refrain from saying something she'd regret. 

"And you thought that that was a good idea?" Yara says slowly, like she's trying hard not to leap across the table and punch Sarah. 

Sarah gulps and smiles again. "Yes. It's a great idea. Don't worry, it's not like he'd-" Her eyes widen. "Oh." 

"Caught on yet?" Yara thins her lips. "He has an even bigger mouth than you, Sarah! Lucas is going to find out that you've been wishing for something so stupid!"

Sarah's mouth opens. "I knew it!" She starts dancing in her chair. 

Yara frowns angrily. "What?" 

"You said I've been wishing for something stupid, not impossible!"

Yara's face goes blank. "Really." 

Sarah just laughs. 

Yara huffs, agitated, and stands up. "Drop dead, Sarah." She says, only half joking.

"Where are you going, Y?" Sarah yells. 

"Anywhere, at this point." Yara says, loud enough for Sarah to hear. 

"Stop! I'm sorry!" Sarah laughs, louder, as Yara moves farther away. 

"Bite me!" Yara yells one last time as she walks away.

And she walks away nervously. 

Nervous that she was walking away from the truth.

~~~

"Are you this dull, Reid?" Lucas sighs. "Your girlfriend doesn't know sh!t." 

Reid gets up, angry at the sudden mention of her. "Don't talk about her like that." 

"Oh, please. Sit down." Lucas drawls. Reid abides, only because he knows that he couldn't take Lucas in a fight. Lucas had quite the reputation. And quite a lot of practice. 

"Look, man, she was only suggesting. She's not forcing anything, okay?" Reid says, sipping his smoothie. 

The three friends, Lucas, Reid and Duncan, were sitting together by the pool.

The water was shining, crystal clear, and full of girls. Girls sitting, girls chatting, girls laughing. 

Duncan claims he 'didn't know' that there'd be so many women. 

I call bullsh!t. Lucas thought. 

Although he had many affairs with different women, he didn't like to get too close to any of them. He knew it was because he had slight abandonment issues, so he had to distance himself from people. The problems were probably caused by his parents.