~twenty-three~

Lucas doesn't even flinch, and Yara's eyes doesn't leave his.

"Hey, do you not hear me?" The shopkeeper yells, and Yara turns to see a man sweeping up an aisle. "It's bloody late, kids. Buy something or get out." 

Lucas snarls and turns around. "We're just picking what stuff to buy. No need to be so aggressive." The words seem civil, but Yara could feel his anger radiating off him.

She carefully places a hand on his chest and pushes him away, turning to smile at the man. "Please excuse my boyfriend, sir. We're just picking which muffin to get. You've got a great selection. We'll be out of your hair soon, I promise." She smiles, turning around and placing the muffin she was holding back onto the shelf and picking another flavor. 

The shopkeeper softened and smiled. "Okay, kids. Be quick." He continues sweeping the floor.

Yara glances up at at Lucas and she sees him frozen in place, a frown between his brows.

"Come on, princess, let's go." She grabs his arm and loops it through hers, walking up to the shopkeeper. 

He tugs them into another aisle, away from the shopkeeper. "Need to grab some candy first, baby." He says loud enough that the shopkeeper can hear. 

Yara's heart stops at the 'baby'.

He puts his hand around Yara's waist and pulls her so that her side is flushed with the side of his body. He leans down and whispers hotly into her ear. 

"How many fvcking times, Moore." He whispers, and she shivers against him.

She turns her head to glare at him, shoving him away from her. "How many times, what?" 

"Stop calling me those stupid pet names." He growls.

"Then you stop calling me those stupid pet names." She quips in return.

He glares down at her.

She breathes hard as she stares up at him.

His light eyes were shadowed, his eyes darknening. His hair fell into his eyes and his lips were pulled down.

She just stares at him.

"God." He mutters, running a hand through his hair. 

There's a moment of heated eye contact, where both of them refuse to look away. Suddenly, Yara breaks it. She looks to the side and puffs her cheeks out.

Lucas just stares.

"And why in the world did you make me your boyfriend." He huffs out.

Yara blushes. "I-I don't know. It's something guys his age would believe, I guess." 

He rolls his eyes. "Sure, princess." 

She scowls and swats his bicep. He doesn't even bat an eyelash.

"You stop." She grits her teeth, ignoring the way her knees shook.

"Stop? Why? Your pupils are dilated, and your cheeks are pink." He smirks.

She scoffs. "You can't even see my pupils."

He pauses and leans closer to her face. "In the light your eyes are lighter. I can see your pupils. And every time I roll my eyes or call you a pet name, they dilate." His lips pull into a tantalizing smile. 

She bites her tongue and turns around, stomping to the checkout, a visible scowl on her face.

The shopkeeper smiles. "Everything alright, dear?" 

She looks at him and smiles. "Yeah. My boyfriend is rather cranky tonight." She laughs but glares at Lucas, who stood behind her. He looped his arms in front of her stomach and placed the packet of chips on the checkout.

She froze as he breathes near her neck. "I'm sorry, baby."  He drawls, dragging the words longer.

She can't prevent the shiver that runs down her. "It's fine, just buy the food I want and I'll reward you at home, darling." She turns her head around and smirks up at him. Lucas glares. 

She sneaks away from him and smiles at the shopkeeper. "Thank you so much, sir." 

"No problem. You kids get home safe." He smiles as he takes Lucas's credit card. "Enjoy the food."

"Yeah, enjoy it." Lucas hisses.

"Aw, thanks, baby." Feeling struck by boldness, she steps on her tiptoes and kisses his cheek. Then she grabs the shopping bag full of food and runs out without looking back. 

She hops into the car and smiles at the driver. "Got what I needed!" 

~~~