The interview

"A young woman like you? How old are you anyway? Like 25? " the women with grey hair asked.

"29, but I'll take the compliment. I'd say you don't look over 40"

The women in front of her gave her no smile as she gave back a compliment.

"Well, thank you, but flattery won't get you anywhere. I've reviewed your files, they're impressive but I'm wondering why you haven't worked sooner?"

"Personal research and reasons. I've been keeping myself busy, but I'm prepared to take this job"

"So you want this job?"

"Yes, me being here means that I do want this job" the younger lady said with a stoic face. She wore a suit, a plain black, almost expensive plain looking one. She was ready for an interview. Her posture was perfect, and her head was held high. Looking at her up and down, the Unit Chief could feel something about this woman. As a profiler she could ask many questions but as an employer, it was different.

"I see, you are serious about this, however that attitude will have to go" she said. She replicated the posture of the women in front of her as she looked down upon her face, now her back straighter than ever and her head high as well.

"Of course, ma'am, I meant no disrespect"              

"You think you can handle this kind of job?"                                                                                           
"Yes, I have no other priorities. Are you still able to handle your job after all these years?" 

"Yes, actually, quite well. Not that it's any of your business" Emily looked puzzled for a moment, wondering if the question was genuine or not.

"Yes, well it takes some time at first"

"Then I'm sure you were able to fit in. I'm no different"

Both stared at each other. The Chief tapped her fingers on her table as she took some time to reflect.

"I'll get you started tomorrow, we're working on a case right now and could use some new eyes, however that attitude with me is not going to pass" she said as she stood up from her chair and extended her hand to her guest.

"Pleasure meeting you" her guest said as she stood up, shook her hand and gave her a slight smile before she turned around and reclaimed her neutral face and left. Looking down at the files she had in front of her, Emily reread the name printed on paper.

"Katherine..."