Amaranthine

| A year later |

"Urg, Im so tired" Emily said as she walked out of the jet. The misty wind of the night hit the bridge of her nose, looking up at the sky, the stars were sparkling.

"I told you to take a nap" Katherine said as she followed behind.

As the group went back towards their cars, they waved the other's goodbye.

As the couple walked towards their car, Emily handed out the keys to Katherine.

"Wow, what have you done to my love, stranger?" Katherine joked as she took the keys and walked towards the driver's side

Emily rolled her eyes as she opened the passenger seat to sit

"Are you really finally letting me drive?" Katherine asked Emily as she turned on the engine.

"Just this once, because I'm tired" Emily said as she yawned.

In the past year, Emily had always insisted on driving when they were together. Maybe as a form of gallantry of maybe she thought Katherine was too carefree behind the wheel. Regardless, Katherine would never drive, even when she insisted.

That night was different.

As Katherine drove in the night, they were the only ones on the road. The ride home wasnt too far away, only 25 minutes. They both knew the way by heart.

Watching the lights outside the window, Emily relaxed as she imagined her face hitting her pillow with Katherine in her arms. Looking at Katherine, she watched as the moonlight and the highway lights would illuminate her face. She admired it as she replayed in her mind the first day she had fallen in love with her.

Driving, Katherine could feel Emily looking at her.

"What?" she asked playfully as she took a split second to look at Emily.

"Nothing" Emily said as she looked back at the road

"Okay..." Katherine said as she placed her unoccupied hand on Emily's thigh. Stroking it with her thumb, she gave her a little gesture of her love.

As they continued unto the silent streets of their neighbourhood, Katherine continued to drive.

Passing at a green light, Emily said something that made Katherine look at her for a second.

"You know, We -"

But before she could answer, they were hit.

On the left side, a pickup truck had run through its red light, crashing into them.

The blast quickly pushed them out of control. Glass shattered and airbags activated.

Emily hadnt seen the flashing light of the other car approaching them in full speed as she looked at Katherine.

Such a lovely night had been ruined by a car crash.

"Ugh, fuck" Emily said as she put a hand to her forehead. It seemed she had fallen unconscious due to the shock of the impact.

Disoriented, she looked out front to see that the car had hit a pole, steam was now coming out of the front hood and the lights flickered.

She seemed okay, some cuts here and there, but that wasnt her worry. Katherine wasnt in the driver's seat, where the impact had been.

Looking around, she couldnt see her, Katherine wasnt in the car anymore.

Blood was on her seat and traces of her bloodied hands could be seen as she had gotten out. She was badly hurt.