Part 39, Slowly Drifting

After a huge gathering, we keepers were aware that the night mares haunting us last night were out of our leagues and there was nothing that we could do about it. But it is decided that tonight we've decided to stay awake in case of further incidents.

I was patrolling around the sleeping areas nearby Frypan's along with Newt and Ben. "It's gonna be a long night shuck faces, you guys up?" I asked confidently.
"All up and ready keeps!" Ben cracked his knuckles as he smirked.
"Yeah, let's just see who gets drowsy first," Newt teased.
We all chuckled as we walked.

As the night got darker, the sleeping areas was all occupied with snoring gladers. "Minho... Look to your left, someone's up," Newt whispered.
I nodded and walked towards the figure. I went up close to find that it was Paula, "Hey you know you're not supposed to be up this late," I warned.

She turned in a shock, "Gosh Minho, you scared me. I was just trying to find you. They told me that you guys were holding a night patrol and I want in,"

"Huh?"

"Don't act all confused. I want to join the patrol," she smiled.

"Well..... well then... I obviously have no choice but to get you back to bed," I straightened.

"No! You can't make me! Why won't you let me?!"

"Because it's late and you're gonna get all tired. What if something bad actually happens? I can't protect you if you're up," I heard my own voice risen.

She came closer and puts her hands on my shoulders, "You don't have to protect me. I'll be okay. I'll stay close to you,"

"Paula....."

"After the night mare, I don't think I'll be able to sleep tonight. Just please don't make me," she got her hands off and walked past me.

I looked over my shoulders and sighed. It's hard to think that her night mares was still haunting her. I hated the fact that she believes that she's warned. I ran back to my patrol area, spotting Paula guarding the homestead with Kaya.

"She's unstoppable eh?" Newt poked.

I raised my eye brow and patted his back.
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
"Ben's out, do you think we could just call it a night? Everything seems bloody fine," Newt reported.
"Alright I'll tell Alby that we're done here. You go rest,"
"See you then," Newt ran off to wake Ben up.

I walked to the homestead to find Alby. "Minho! What's going on?" Kaya waved.
"Nothing, we're calling it a night. Do you happen to see Alby anywhere?"
"Yeah he's with George near the woods," She pointed towards the woods and continued, "and you should really talk to Paula by the way,"
I nodded in exchange and ran off.

Alby waved at my way as I approached. "What's the matter Keeper?"
"We've decided to call it a night. Newt's positive that everything's under control, plus Ben's out,"
"I guess we're done here," Alby gestured George to go ahead.
He placed his hands on my back and told my to go on as well. I bid him good-bye and went for the homestead.
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
I arrived at the home stead ready for bed. "Hey," I stopped, stunned by a soft voice.
"Hey, why're you still up?" I had my eyes on her.
"I'm just not tired yet," Paula smiled.
"Seriously? After an all-nighter?" I came closer to her.
She laughed as she gazed into my eyes. She caressed my cheeks and began, "What would I ever do without you? I'm always so stubborn..... And I'm sorry...."
I was so alerted by her apology that I interrupted her, "Stop. Stop apologizing. This will always end up being a long chain of apologies and then we would forget why bother apologizing anymore,"

What was I thinking?

There was a brief moment of silence before Paula reacted, "You're right.... I guess you're tired of apologies so I'm just gonna go....."

I grabbed her hand to stop her from leaving. I wanted to apologize for what I said but that would ruin what I had said. "Good night Minho," the intensity of her voice risen as she yanked her hands free.

I was so conflicted with my thoughts and my actions. I just don't know what's wrong anymore. What have I done? What am I suppose to do to make things right?
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
Thank you so much for reading and voting :3

Make sure to leave any comment or suggestions :)

And also I've been working on a playlist for this story and this might be one of the last chapters but not to worry because I may just do a sequel ;D

My tumblr: nightchevalier.tumblr.com
My Ask.fm: ask.fm/tee_803
My 8tracks playlist: http://m.8tracks.com/tee803/remember-me-minho-fanmix